cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling devices

morganjones

Throttling devices

Is there a way to throttle devices' speed that are connected to my router. I have the router that plusnet supply, technicolour. I have an issue where the sky box and phones are taking up the majority of the internet bandwidth and I want to limit this somehow.
8 REPLIES 8
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Throttling devices

Plusnet already prioritise different usage according to their own algorithm to improve your experience so you shouldn't have to do anything  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
supernova1
Grafter

I don't use the PN router, but I throttle my kids 'greed' for bandwidth using the QoS function most routers have.
Some have the facility to throttle a particular MAC address using the QoS function.
Sorry I can't be anymore help, but google Qos and you might find more info.
Here is a thread about it  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107684.0.html/
ATb
SN-
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

IP QOS can be configured in the TG582n router but it only really works in the upstream direction.
If you wish to have a play with QOS you'll find a how to here:
http://npr.me.uk/ipqos.html
Alternatively the bandwidth for each of the routers 4 ethernet port can be configured via telnet.
Unfortunately you can't throttle wireless devices only ethernet connected devices.
Let me know if need the commands to throttle ethernet ports, it may take a couple of days to dig them out.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If the TG582n doesn't give you what you want, you may have to add a router (or get a replacement modem-router) that does.
As an example, the TP-Link TL-WR1043nd I have has bandwidth control in both directions* based on IP address and is easily configured to provide static addresses (ie a fixed IP address for a given MAC address). All other address ranges can be set to a very low limit, becoming unusable Roll_eyes Time based restrictions are also easily imposed. Controls are on the traffic to/from the WAN port, so independent of wired/wireless connection.
Phil
* Yes, I have tested it - 1Mbps down on fibre is quite interesting!
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: morganjones
I have an issue where the sky box and phones are taking up the majority of the internet bandwidth and I want to limit this somehow.

Phones taking up bandwidth? I'm wondering if the actual problem is that the sky box and/or phones are not installed correctly via filters and have knocked the sync speed for six?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Also might be the OP means that the Sky box using on-demand takes up bandwidth.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's how I read it first, then I thought hang on, phones? Something isn't right here. Even if he's using VoIP phones they wouldn't be using sufficient bandwidth unless they are video phones and then you would want them to use the bandwidth.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

I was thinking phones as in smartphones using the wifi - but again it's hard to know. Clarity from the OP is needed.