cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router questions

AJones
Grafter

Thomson router questions

As part of the investigation into my ongoing speed problems, I've been loaned a router by PlusNet - a Thomson Gateway TG585 V8.  Although it's made no difference to the problems I'm having, it seems like a good router and I'm considering purchasing is so that I have a spare.  A couple of questions, though:
It's configuration screens have PlusNet branding all over them.  Is the router locked to PlusNet accounts only, or can it be used with other service providers?
One of the entries in the link information screen reads:
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 196,609 / 0
What does this signify?  I hope it's not the number of disconnections!
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Thomson router questions

Pretty sure it's not 'locked', just branded, one of the suppier options in the connection wizzard os 'other', that's always a good sign.
Some od these routers (and many others) display spurious high error counts, what's more important is if they keep increasing afer further time.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you intend to use wireless (either now or in the future) then that is not the router for you... see the many threads on wireless issues (and some other issues) with that router.
It's not one I would recommend for any use as its too unreliable.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I agree that there are 'quite a few' reports of problems with this router though I often wonder what proportion of users with this model this actually represents, the reason for this is that I am using this router since I requested one when my previous router started to die and this one gives me the best performance I have had to date.  It has a higher sync than previous Belkin, 2-Wire (BT Business Hub) and Safecom routers, it also holds on well when SNR margin drops and I have often 4 computers connected actively using the internet at rhe same time (wife XP, son Windows 7 64 bit, daughter on vista and myself on Windows 7 32 bit), all on wireless and I'm pretty sure that no two use the same wi-fi adaptor type.
For me this is a good router (though not without limitations).
Sorry, I forgot to mention XBox360 (wireless), Wii and wireless printer.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.