cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router question..

resolve666
Dabbler

Thomson router question..

I recently received a Thomson router as part of my upgrade to Plusnet Premium, now I have a different router already setup and working now so I have no use for it at present.. however my Mother has been having problems with a router she recently bought, I was wondering if she could use my Plus net router with a different ISP as she is not with Plus Net. I know it's a bit of an odd question to ask here really I should be asking her ISP, but I figured this would be quicker. We've been snowed in so it will be a couple of days until I can try it out, I figured I'd find out if it would even work before wasting my time going round.
7 REPLIES 7
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Thomson router question..

Although the PlusNet supplied Thomson TG585V7 Routers have PlusNet branded firmware, they are NOT locked to PlusNet and therefore can be used with any ISP.
Also, you can flash the firmware back to the Thomson standard firmware if you want to get rid of the PlusNet Branding.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
The Plusnet Thomson routers will work with any ISP, just follow the manual set up route in the setup guide and set the other ISP's login details in the settings. Before you set it up you'll need to disable the auto setup on your account in the member centre here:
https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
resolve666
Dabbler

Thanks for the help guys, this should save us some money, as long as it's not the computer that's having the issues and it is indeed the other router.  Smiley
resolve666
Dabbler

One more question, sorry to double post but I wasn't sure if it would flag up as a reply if I modified my last post.. anyway, the Wireless key that came with the router, is that router specific, or is it connection specific? I.e. will I have to ring up her ISP to find out the Wireless Key or is it just the one that came with the router. Wasn't sure if it was only for my Plus Net connection?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

It's router specific, the only thing you'll need from the other ISP if you don't know them are the broadband username and password.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
resolve666
Dabbler

Thanks again, I'm not very tech savvy with wireless equipment at the moment.. I'm getting there though, slowly.
badwolf
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Although the PlusNet supplied Thomson TG585V7 Routers have PlusNet branded firmware, they are NOT locked to PlusNet and therefore can be used with any ISP.

When Thomson release new firmware for this thing, if I was to upgrade my plusnet unit would that get rid of all the plusnet branding/settings etc?
If you wanted to upgrade but keep the plusnet specific stuff, is there another procedure to upgrade these units?
Must admit I do like the plusnet stuff, adds a nice touch Smiley and I guess if you ever need support it makes it a bit easier for plusnet