Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 - Admin Password

nokiboi39
Grafter

Thomson TG585 v7 - Admin Password

Hi
I have been with Plusnet since the 14th September 2010, and as reported previously my internet connection appears to hang regardless of how I connect and from what I connect, e.g wired/wireless Desktop/Netbook.
The number of times that this happens has slightly decreased but still happens, a further problem with this router is that I m unable to change the ADMIN password. Whilst the Router appears to accept this when I then attempt to logon back on I find the change has not accepted. 
Unfortunately fo me I was previously with Sky and as such utilised their Router which to be fair never gave me any problems however as the firmware is tied to Sky I am unable to use that, hence I opted to take a router supplied by Plusnet.
I suspect that the router itself is the source of the freezing since it is the common point, however the latest problem of changing the router password is really frustrating.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do prior to me logging an support call ?
Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
hulls
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 - Admin Password

I'm sure a PN guy will be on here tomorrow, but I believe there was a firmware update for this (and I'm pretty sure you should be able to flash the sky router to a standard D-Link (I think) firmware as well)
John.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nokiboi39,
If you make sure you have the latest firmware on the router, which you can get some help with here. If you still have issues I'll have a look at other options for you.
Jojo Smiley
nokiboi39
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for replying,  I checked the router and it shows the following :-
Product Name: TG585 v7
Serial Number: CP1014SFAZ5
Software Release: 8.2.6.5
So from that I think am on the latest firmware.
Cheers
MrT
Grafter

I will be most interested to see the outcome of this. I've had the same problem (I've tried to change password, SSID, Wireless Channel) using the same router with the same firmware since 14 July 2010 - each time the router reboots and resets everything! PN never responded to my post. Just hope you have more luck than I did.  Sad
carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: nokiboi39
...a further problem with this router is that I m unable to change the ADMIN password. Whilst the Router appears to accept this when I then attempt to logon back on I find the change has not accepted. 

I've just received one of these routers from PN today, and had similar problems changing the password. In the end I got it to work by creating a second admin user, changing the password on that account and making it the default, then deleting the original admin account.
Go to Toolbox > User management and click on "configure" at the top right.
Then click the "add" button and on the next screen give the new user a name and make sure the drop-down is set to "administrator". The password will initially be the same as the username.
Back at the User Management screen, click on "set the default user" link at the bottom, select the new username and click the button. After the confirmation, close your browser.
Open the browser again and log on to the router, using the new username for both name + password.
Go back to Toolbox > User management and click on "change my password" at the bottom. Add the user name as the "old password", then enter the new password twice.
The new password SHOULD stick now - close the browser and log in again to check it works, then you can go back to User Management and a "delete" link should appear next to the original admin user.
It's probably worth backing up the settings file before doing this in case it all goes wrong.
Quote from: nokiboi39
I was previously with Sky and as such utilised their Router which to be fair never gave me any problems however as the firmware is tied to Sky I am unable to use that, hence I opted to take a router supplied by Plusnet.

If the Sky router is a DG834GT you can certainly reflash it back to the standard Netgear firmware, it may be possible with other routers issued by Sky, but I've never tried them. I had no problems doing this with one I bought on Ebay, both to the standard firmware or the DGteam alternative firmware, although it does go wrong in some cases, bricking the router. There are some basic instructions here, but there's plenty more if you Google "reflash sky dg834gt".
nokiboi39
Grafter

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice of creating another ADMIN user and ways to reflash my old Sky router.
I decided instead of purchasing another router or trying to reflash my old Sky router (namely technically its still Sky's)  I thought I would go with PlusNets offering, this also negates being told its my router at fault.
As mentioned the router i have had since 14/9/10 and is on the latest software.  Any further advice from Plusnet ?.
Cheers