cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG 585v7 -After disabling wireless, router reboots, wireless on again

Broadmar

Thomson TG 585v7 -After disabling wireless, router reboots, wireless on again

Hi
Running Software Release: 8.2.6.5 on Thomson TG 585 v7 router.
Wanted to disable wireless overnight so went to Thomson WiFi page and changed configeration to Not enabled.
Found in morning that Wireless was enabled .
Disabled it again and found that after 2-3 minutes Internet went down and then the router itself did a "soft" reboot.
Wireless was enabled again.
This was not an isolated incident and has happened when using both an XP and Win 7 computer via a network cable
I want on occasions to be sure wireless is off overnight - other than turning off the router.
Am I missing something.?
Thanks
Sad Sad
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thomson TG 585v7 -After disabling wireless, router reboots, wireless on again

Did you click the Apply button at the bottom of the wireless configuration page after you unticked the Interface Enabled checkbox?
I think holding in the button on the front of the router for a couple of seconds should also toggle wireless on and off.
David
Broadmar

Re: Thomson TG 585v7 -After disabling wireless, router reboots, wireless on again

Hi
Tha front button does do anything - see other threads
Maybe I could have failed to click apply first time - doubtful though. Certainly not since
Thanks
Broadmar

Hi
Apologies for error in last response. Should have read
Thanks for comments
The front button does not do anything - see other threads
Maybe I could have failed to click apply first time - doubtful though. Certainly not since
Thanks
bsanotrun
Grafter

Quote from: Broadmar

The front button does not do anything - see other threads

you have to press and HOLD the button for a long time, as much as 10 seconds for it to toggle the wireless on/off.
mike
Broadmar

Hi Mike
Thanks for your suggestion regarding pressing the button at the front of the router for some seconds.
It worked and has solved the short term problem as wireless remains off and it does not cause the router to soft reboot.
There remains a problem with the router or firmware as it should be possible ( according to the PlusNet Instructions) to simply turn off the wireless from within the Thomson Gateway Network area and it remain off.
Thanks again

Broadmar

Have Plusnet seen this one before
Problem as stated below in original post
Is there a solution save changing router or using the switch at the front of the router to turn off wireless.
Using the latter route does not cut Internet access and stays off.
Believe I am using the lates firmware for a v7 router.

Running Software Release: 8.2.6.5 on Thomson TG 585 v7 router.
Wanted to disable wireless overnight so went to Thomson WiFi page and changed configeration to Not enabled.
Found in morning that Wireless was enabled .
Disabled it again and found that after 2-3 minutes Internet went down and then the router itself did a "soft" reboot.
Wireless was enabled again.
This was not an isolated incident and has happened when using both an XP and Win 7 computer via a network cable

Thanks
Broadmar
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Broadmar,
I guess you applied the change in settings after disabling the wireless?
If so it might be worth trying a reflash of the same firmware, or possibly even an upgrade? There's details on how to do that in our library article here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
Please make sure you get the correct version for your router though, the firmwares for the v8 aren't compatible with the v7 I'm afraid.
Broadmar

Hi Matt
Thanks for your comments
For info
Previously, I did not change any settings apart from disabling wireless in the Home Network Area of the "Thomson Gateway". It then did a soft reboot itself and re enabled wireless.
The problem seems to have been cured following  a reflash of my Thomson v7 router with the same firmware version 8.2.6.5.
Have not tested the effect of a hard reboot of the router. Will do that when the "danger of too many disconnections" has past.
Many thanks
Broadmar
Smiley Smiley