cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG-585 "Truly" permanent remote management / assistance

wassy

Thomson TG-585 "Truly" permanent remote management / assistance

Hi all,
Is there any way to make the remote assistance truly permanant. i.e. when i log off from the router or it gets restarted/power cut etc. the remote assistance will still be enabled? This is a very frustrating design flaw and i realise some people see a security risk in having permanant remote management channels open to their router. For some of us it is essential.
Can i simply add a port forwarding rule to the router to point back to itself? i.e.  forward WAN port 4354 back to port 80 and then assign this rule to the router ip address (192.168.1.254)?
Then remotely i would connect to "http://my.wan.ip:4354"
i know i should just test this out myself first but when you have holiday makers in constantly and only a short time each week for changeovers you cant really barge in and disturb them mid-week to mess around with the internet.
as a side note. does anyone know if the TG-585 will support DD-WRT firmware, as i cant find any thomson products on their supported hardware list (maybe they are branded as something else in the US). If i cant find a fix for this i think ill end up having to get a linksys router or similar which is more up to the job.
Regards
Simon
2 REPLIES 2
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG-585 "Truly" permanent remote management / assistance

I don't claim to know the answer - but maybe somewhere in all the documents on Thomson's site here will have the answer ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thomson TG-585 "Truly" permanent remote management / assistance

The only thing I can suggest is after remote assistance is enabled telnet into the router and type the command saveall
That used to work for some other commands such as changing the default noise margin on the earlier routers where you wanted to keep the setting after a reboot