cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Speedtouch disconnects

frank39
Grafter

Thomson Speedtouch disconnects

I've been upgraded to ADSL2+ for about six weeks and find that my Thomson TG585v7 disconnects at least every three days due to either (or both) ADSL or PPP failures.  It reconnects within the minute, so it's not a disaster, but it's a lot more than I found on ADSL.
What do other folk get from this router on ADSL2?
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thomson Speedtouch disconnects

Hi frank39,
Although a lot of lines will stay connected it's not uncommon for them to disconnect occasionally, so I wouldn't be concerned about a drop every 3 days.
Jojo Smiley
frank39
Grafter

Thanks Jojo.
That's a great encouragement as I was not looking forward to finding a replacement for the Thomson.  It's not clear (to me anyway) that there is a modern (Gigabit and N class to future proof) router at a reasonable price which has not been trashed in some forum or another.
Just for interest, I have reverted to my old faithful, stay connected for months on ADSL, Netgear DG834 to see how frequently that disconnects.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My experience since switching to ADSL2+ 6 weeks ago is similar. My router is a TG585v8 and had been connected for 59 days before the switch. Since then around 5 days is the maximum I've achieved.
I think some of the disconnections are due to BT work in the exchange, installing and removing production test versions of new MSAN software associated with implementation of BRAS Quantisation - which should make us all happier when completed. (When the new software is in place IP Profiles shown by the BT Performance Tester are "exact" and not rounded down to 250/500/1000 steps.)
David
frank39
Grafter

I've been doing a bit of testing over the last weeks.  I've been round the loop of using the test socket, changing the filter and calling in the PN fault check team.  I haven't been able to separate all the variables, but certainly there have been fewer disconnects later in May (or was it the changed router??).
Here are my observations:
The 2-3 day disconnects with the Thomson TG585 v7 router have been fault checked (test socket, new filter etc., PN fault report) and declared to be within the acceptable performance range. This may be correct but the disconnects appear to prompt BT to reduce my download speed by (at least) 10%. Replacing the router with a Netgear DG834 produces 7 to 10 day intervals between disconnects.  If I get a 4 day unbroken connection then my download speed goes back to 11M.  The Netgear router log reports disconnects by LCP down, from which it reconnects, and by loss of sync., from which it doesn't reconnect.  After I reconnect manually, the download speed is reduced by 10% but recovers over a few days.
Thus:
1. ADSL2+ (21CN) will provide a download speed of 11M.
2. ADSL2+ produces a greater (by about 10 times) frequency of disconnects than ADSL (20CN) on both routers tested.
3. The frequent disconnects appear to result in reduced download speeds.
4. It produces a loss of sync error from which the Netgear DG834 will not reconnect - not found with ADSL (20CN)
5. The Thomson DG585 will reconnect after the disconnects.
Conclusion:
The disconnects, if they reconnect, are a minor irritant (since the gamer departed from my LAN) unless they come in a Skype call.  The reduced speed (10%) is also minor, given the speed at which most sites serve their data, providing it doesn't fall any further.
Questions:
1. Anybody else observed this.
2. Is there a solution which gives longer periods between disconnects, automatic reconnection and thus an improved download speed.
3. Will another router (Belkin, for example, as the previous N300 model is being discounted) perform any better.
4. Am I being a bit obsessive about this - do I need to get out more.
peter10
Grafter

Very similar experience. With ADSL a rock solid connection lasting well over a month many times and a reasonable speed of about 6 M. When moved to 21CN I had several disconnections (9 in 24 h once). BT Engineer came and changed several things including face plate and even router. Now on TG585v8 instead of 7.Still getting some disconnections but not as many. Longest unbroken spell 5 days then 5 disconnections in 2 days. I was advised in a ticket that  "it would be classified as unstable if the connection are happening more than 3 times per day for last 3 days". Disconnections only last about a minute. Speed now 9.4M
One strange thing with the new router was that upload speed dropped to 100k once on wireless but was normal 300+ on ethernet. Restarting router seemed to cure it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: frank39
… but certainly there have been fewer disconnects later in May (or was it the changed router??).

My TG585v8 has been connected for over 8 days now - longest session since moving to ADSL2+ at the end of March. I suspect BT might have finalised their new MSAN BRAS Quantisation code, so no "unexplained" interruptions for code changes in the last week of May.
The Thomson has always re-synced and reconnected for me, haven't tried a different router. Sync speed dropped on one occasion sufficient to reduce PN Profile by 500kbps, recovered a few days later. Generally, however, sync speed has crept up slightly,
David
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: spraxyt
.. I suspect BT might have finalised their new MSAN BRAS Quantisation code, ..
@spraxyt
Since you mention it, why do you suspect that?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Pure speculation.
Simply that this assumption fits with sync *not* being lost every couple of days or so when the trends from router stats (which might cause disconnection) aren't changing. I've been connected for over 9½ days now, longest period since I moved to ADSL2+.
Clearly I'm assuming the disconnections were nothing to do with my line, just BT reloading software on and restarting the MSANs, and that has now stopped. In the early days IP Profiles switched between non-round-number and round-number values, though recently they have all been non-round-number.
Even though the active IP Profiles were non-round-number the back-end systems which send delta reports to Plusnet appeared to be working to the old (round-numbers and up to 5 day wait) rules. Presumably an update to these BT systems (and Plusnet's) is needed to complete and support the upgrade.
David