cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson ST516 No-NAT

jaark
Dabbler

Thomson ST516 No-NAT

I have been trying to arrange things so that my firewall receives an Internet-valid IP address, which is what used to happen when I was using VM.
After fighting with the 'assign connection IP address to a device' option (which results in some very spurious DHCP responses), PN have given me a static two-address network so that the device can be configured manually for routing.
After going through the setup wizard and selecting the 'No-NAT' option, there is a screen to review the selected options and to click Next to actually configure the device.

I click Next and up pops another authentication request from the ST516.
None of the password I know for the device work here, neither the default admin/<serial> or Administrator/<blank> (from Here) work. neither does any additional user account I have added to the router (even if I delete the default account). DOes anyone have any idea what credentials I should be using to get my router configured?
TIA
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Thomson ST516 No-NAT

Quote from: jaark
None of the password I know for the device work here, neither the default admin/<serial> or Administrator/<blank> (from Here) work.

It should be the former AFAIK. Perhaps time to go for a factory reset?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Depending on age and source it should be Administrator/<blank>
jaark
Dabbler

Unfortunately a factory reset hasn't done the trick either. Neither method (via the UI or the reset button) seems to put the device back into the state it was out of the box and I still cannot complete the setup wizard with the no-nat configuration. it seems to work fine when using the normal 'Plusnet' opton, just not when I select 'other'.
jaark
Dabbler

Another thing I notice after the 'factory reset' is that it either keeps the connection credentials that I have set up or it will change them to 'tr069@plusdsl.net'. It willl then connect and receive an address in the 10.x.x.x range.
Still no joy in getting the easy setup wizard to complete though.
getting really frustrated with this now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could flash the firmware with the latest Thomson version rather than the Plusnet branded
jaark
Dabbler

Yeah, I'm looking into that at the moment, but it appears that Thomson aren't exactly forthcoming with making copies of the firmware easy to get hold of.
On the other hand, I have just noticed the CLI interface, so I think that this evening's entertainment will be exploring that Cheesy
thanks for the pointers.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Another thing I notice after the 'factory reset' is that it either keeps the connection credentials that I have set up or it will change them to 'tr069@plusdsl.net'. It willl then connect and receive an address in the 10.x.x.x range.

The tr069 login credentials and IP address range are correct for "easy set-up". The router uses these to connect to the Plusnet ACS server to obtain the registered user's credentials, sets them up and reconfigures the router, then restarts with the proper broadband username and password. This process normally takes 10 to 15 minutes these days, might be (much) longer on older routers.
If the easy-start process fails a simplified fall-back dialogue is usually started to get the information from the user. If that also fails the standard set-up wizard should run.
Which one of those fails for you?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You can get all the firmware variants from http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/
jaark
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt

The tr069 login credentials and IP address range are correct for "easy set-up". The router uses these to connect to the Plusnet ACS server to obtain the registered user's credentials, sets them up and reconfigures the router, then restarts with the proper broadband username and password.

Ahh! that explains why I was occasionally seeing my real username in there after the factory reset.
Clears up one mystery, thanks!
Which one of those fails for you?

The easy setup wizard fails when trying to set-up a no-nat configuration. It gets right to the end and then prompts for a password that I do not have.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There is a fair amount on problems setting up no-nat on Speedtouch routers on the modem-help forums mentioned by Oldjim. In particular
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9308 (ST585v6 *not* ST516) and
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9301 (ST*** collection).
Not sure if absence of the proper template fits your problem.
David
jaark
Dabbler

Finally!
I resorted to re-flashing the thing with generic firmware (details here : http://markferry.net/Network.SpeedtouchUpgrade).
I immediately hit another problem - there did not seem to be any obvious provision for normal routing (just single IP address hiding a network with NAT). However, this did re-enable the device's bridging mode. This bridge is a true PPPoe to PPPoA bridge, so I simply configured PPPoE on my firewall and all seems right with the world.
All information I can glean from PN's PPP server indicates that my connection is a normal single IP address, not the /30 that CS said I had been transferred to but I don't care as I now have demarkation where I want it.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!