Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Gateway unavailable

vaper
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thomson Gateway unavailable

I haven't been able to access Thomson Gateway since about 9pm. Anyone else having this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Thomson Gateway unavailable

What do you mean? Is your broadband connection down or are you unable to log into your router?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

vaper
Grafter

Hi Baldrick1, thanks for your response.

I wasn't able to log in to my router.

I had turned off WIFI and disconnected from the internet to do a power-off reset of the router. When I came back to turn it all back on again, I wasn't able to log in to the router and I had no internet connection.

After hitting the Factory Reset button I was able to log in to the router but still had no other internet connection.

Turned out that my internet log-in username and password had been changed ! ! Luckily, I had a back-up of my configuration file and was able to upload that to fix things.

I'm a bit concerned that the username and password were changed without my knowledge but I have put that down, hopefully, to a screwed up Factory Rest.

Any thoughts ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): A near-duplicate post was released from Spam Filter and subsequently removed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.
It’s difficult to tell what may have happened but I’d say it’s possible that WiFi was still switched off when you turned your router back on. Doing a factory reset would’ve brought WiFi back, but also reset the username to the auto-setup one TR069@plusdsl.net (which should’ve pulled down the correct username to your router though it looks like it didn’t on this occasion until you manually configured it)
Hope this helps.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vaper
Grafter

Thanks Gandelf, that is quite a relief in one respect.

The new username was indeed "TR069@plusdsl.net" so, at least, my router settings hadn't been hacked.

The confusing thing was that after a Factory Reset, I had expected to have to enter my log-in details again but when I selected "Plusnet Wireless" for my internet connection it went straight to "Connected" - but there was no internet access. WIFI being off was not an issue because I was using a cable connection until WIFI was back.

I did get the Plusnet initial setup page but it stuck at the "Gathering Information" page indefinitely.

I had proved the router by using a BT internet connection (at a fiver per hour) - It was a relief at not having to get a new router before getting up and running again.

I am tempted to try another Factory Reset to see what happens next time.

.Is there anything I can do to correct the Factory Reset if it all goes wrong again ?.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

The 'connected' message was telling you that you were wirelessly connected to the router, not that the router had internet access. Why bother about testing it again, the log in details are basically the same as you use to log in to your Plusnet account apart from the @plusdsl added to your user name? The auto configuration has to be set up by Plusnet but they often forget to do it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me, if you can PM me the serial number and MAC number from the label on the bottom of the router, I’ll be able to check that it’s set at our side correctly.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet