cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Gateway 585v7

gnelmes
Grafter

Thomson Gateway 585v7

I have this modem supplied by Plusnet and am having great problems port forwarding. This interface is difficult enough but I have enabled it to run my own webserver. However it is proving impossible to forward port 21 (FTP).  It is not blocked by Plusnet as I have altered to firewall settings so that it isn't. However no matter what I do in 585 the post is still closed.  Even disabling the firewall has no effect. Has anyone any ideas apart form buying a new modem!
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Thomson Gateway 585v7

You might find this useful
The router is running a FTP server so whenever you try to connect to the FTP service behind the router you are actually connecting to the FTP service that the router is running. You will have to create a username with admin rights on the router and telnet to it. From the command line there do:
service system ifdelete name=FTP group=wan

saveall
this turns off the FTP service on the router. Next you will have to do the port forwarding and all. There are some guides for that:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...p,16~mode=flat
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12329921
hope this helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gnelmes
Grafter

Thanks but have already done all that through telnet without any success.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

No idea if, but in case it may be of use Undecided
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,8188.0/topicseen.html
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
carrot63
Grafter

Have you previously had this working with another router? If not I wonder if the culprit might be the "Broadband Firewall" that runs on the Plusnet side:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
I'm not sure what the default setting is, but I have had to change the settings in the past to get things to work.
Edit: sorry, redundant - I just reread the original post
Barrytrcy
Grafter

The Thompson TG585 V7 isn't a very good router. Search google and you will find plenty of people having problems port forwarding with this router.
I tried but couldn't open any ports I wanted open. I
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey,
I have the same router, and forwarded the port 21, to my FTP server on my fileserver, I didn't need to make any further changes.
gnelmes
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies. No it isn't a very good router!  I was upgraded to fibre optic (good) but was supplied with the Thomson.  I am only trying to replicate what I had working perfectly well with my old Netgear router:webserver, FTP, mailserver.
As said above the Thomson is noted for its port forwarding problems so I envy you Matt in having no problems!  I have got round some problems, like changing the IP address of the router, by editing the user.ini file but now I have exhausted most of the possibilities.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was upgraded to fibre optic (good) but was supplied with the Thomson.

Aah!, that might be significant. AFAIK the router supplied for FTTC is not a standard TG585v7, it has different firmware which configures one of the LAN ports as a WAN port. Have you tried asking on the FTTC forum ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.