cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson router wireless connection problem

severy

Thompson router wireless connection problem

I recently purchased a new Samsung laptop running Windows 7 for my elderly father and signed up to the Plusnet service with Thompson router on his behalf.  The Samsung connected wirelessly to my own (non security protected) wireless network without problem - via a fairly old Netgear device.  However, at his house, the Samsung does not connect wirelessly to the newly installed Thompson router.  The router, as supplied, was up and running straight out of the box - I took my own HP laptop along running XP Pro which connected wirelessly to the Thomson first time (via the security key rather than the PIN number).  The Samsung connects to the router without problem via an ethernet connection.
I tried turning off the wireless connection security, without achieving success, although in hindsight I'm not absolutely sure that the security had actually been disabled.
Can anyone suggest what might need to be changed within the Samsung laptop set-up to achieve a wireless connection ?
17 REPLIES 17
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thompson router wireless connection problem

Hi severy,
Does the Samsung laptop pick up the wireless network at all? Just wondering if you get any error messages or anything when trying to connect, or if it just doesn't find the Thomson network at all.
severy

Yes, the Samsung does see the wireless network & indicates the signal strength.  It asks me to enter a PIN then attempts to connect. After that, it offers to connect via the security key and attempts to connect. This does not succeed either.  There is no particular error message offered.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure why it's asking for a PIN, unless that's a Samsung specific thing. It may be worth trying with different security levels to see if you can get it to connect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Jamie_Hardy
Dabbler

I have just had the same thing with a Windows 7 laptop and a desktop at my mates not connecting via wifi to a Thompson router, it just needed WPA2 turning on. Try that and use the windows to control wifi not any Samsung apps
severy

Thanks, guys.  I'll re-visit one evening this week and ensure WPA2 is turned on etc.  I think Windows was controlling things, but I'll make sure of it.
mPH
Grafter

I had the same problem connecting but eventually after countless attempts had some luck.  I had to hold down the button on the front until its starts flashing, then i could enter the passphrase in windows.  Not all my devices need this, my HTC connected with no fuss.
BRABUS
Grafter

I have been going through similar issues.  I have even had my new router asking for the pin as well.
Have a look at my post for some more detail
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82837.0.html
I hope that its something thats easily sorted for everyones sake.
paxy
Grafter

I have had exactly the same problem here trying to connect using a Windows 7 laptop.  It seems that there is a problem with either the router or the methodology I am trying to connect?
Connecting a Windows XP laptop went straight in - no problem.
Connecting the same Windows 7 laptop to a USR9106 router also on plusnet - no problems.
I have tried on 2 different Thomson routers from plusnet with the same results on both.  It would first ask for the PIN and not like it.  It would then ask for the passphrase and not like it.  After multiple attempts it then 'just worked'.  There appears to be somehting in Windows 7 that doesn't like something in the plusnet routers??!
paxy
Grafter

Quote from: Jamie
I have just had the same thing with a Windows 7 laptop and a desktop at my mates not connecting via wifi to a Thompson router, it just needed WPA2 turning on. Try that and use the windows to control wifi not any Samsung apps

Hi Jamie
Still stuck - Where and how did you turn WPA2 on using this router?  Is it not WPA2 by default?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think it's WEP to start with, with the password being the router's serial number (on a sticker on the base of the router itself).
To change this to WPA:
Log in to the router's interface and click 'Home Network' on the menu on the left. From here click on the wireless interface, and then 'configure' in the top right. This should take you to the page dealing with the router's wireless security settings - the option to change the encryption type is near the bottom of the page.
Hope that helps,
paxy
Grafter

Hmmm - I think it was 'WPA + WPA2' selected from memory.
Would that have caused a problem?
Is there a newer firmware I can update to as form the tests I tried it is almost certain an issue with the router?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Wireless security on the TG585v7 I have was set to WPA+WPA2. No trouble connecting using original and a modified SSID, but I'm using Windows XP.
David
WebDude
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I'm not sure why it's asking for a PIN, unless that's a Samsung specific thing. It may be worth trying with different security levels to see if you can get it to connect.

No, it seems more link a Windows 7 'feature'.  Using an HP/Compaq laptop, the "wireless assistant" popped up a box asking for Security PIN with a "link" below to use a "security key".
Just as for severy this failed.  Having looked down the other posts, I went off to the confguration section under Home Network / interface / wireless.  I should have taken a screen shot, but feel sure it was showing WPA+WPA2  I tried switching it to WPA2 (as per Jamie Hardy's post) and the XP machine was fine, but Win 7 still failed to connect.
I had no easy way to stop the HP 'assistant' from being used, but by using the Windows 7 'Manage Wireless Networks' facility, I was able to manually add a network entry naming it PlusnetWireless and using WPA2 with the appropriate key.  At one point I still had an error and the troubleshooter suggested I switch the router off for 10 seconds, so nothing to lose, I did, and then the laptop connected OK.  (First I managed with WPA, and subsequently without needing to reboot router, with WPA2.)
So it is possible, but for a while (before seeing this thread) I had been stumped and had put off worrying about it.  I only needed to find out as the laptop will soon be used by my sister (50+ miles away) and she'll probably get the same wireless router, as she had been using a desktop with a non-wifi router I supplied 5+ years ago...  At least this way I can talk my sister through the right steps, or via LogMeIn I can perhaps set it up remotely for her (using ethernet cable her end, of course!)
BRABUS
Grafter

I am getting similar issues with my inlaws nighbours.  I have helped them purchase a laptop and set them up with plus net.  All was going well and then they started to lose wireless connection.  They have Windows 7.
Now bear in mind that this couple are in their late 70's and I live a 3 hour drive away its a pain to sort it for them.

But they have been brilliant so far.  Everything I have asked them to do they have done step by step.
Their router is exhibiting the same issues as my 2 routers plusnet have supplied me.  I am beginning to think these routers have some sort of issue.