cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson Router LAN disconnects

barireid
Grafter

Thompson Router LAN disconnects

I am now onto my second of the thompson 4-port wireless routers, the first one worked fine for a few weeks then it would not assign ip addresses to anything wireless or wired unless it was reset. Even if something was connected after a while the connection would drop and repairing the connection would give the error that the ip could not be renewed.
So i got a new one. Same problems with the addition that every morning when i switch on the main desktop pc (wired connection) it will not allow me to connect to the network (although it appears to assign an ip) repairing connection gives the same error as before, and a router restart is needed, another thing with the new router that i hadn't noticed with the old one is that the wireless signal disappears from time to time, then reappears shortly after.
I can't see it being a computer problem as it happens to every device i have, desktop running xp pro, laptop running vista, netbook with linux, PS3 and a phone running android - are these routers just plain bad or have i been unlucky or are there some magic settings somewhere that might sort it out?!
I am seriously considering getting myself a half decent router as i have a nas which i access all the time from inside and outside the network...any suggestions?Huh
5 REPLIES 5
Mand
Grafter

Re: Thompson Router LAN disconnects

Hi there,
I can send a replacement router if you like? It certainly sounds like there's an issue there.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Thomson routers are rubbish - they are OK to keep in a cupboard, so that
if your main router (which you have bought) should fail, then you have
some kind of backup.
You can then use the Thomson router to buy a proper router over the internet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

barireid
Grafter

thanks for the replies,
if these routers just aren't up to it i have no problem getting a replacement, i'd prefer to pay for one that works than a free one that doesn't always manage it, i wasn't sure what to expect from a free router anyway, bt's homehub had already made my expectations pretty low anyway!!
I can't see the point in getting another replacement mand, and i wouldn't put it as a negative against plusnet, line/connection has been good - i usually find that with free hardware you get what you pay for!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Billion 7800N...highly recommended.
I have two in use and others around here use them satisfactorily.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
gyre
Grafter

Some speedtouch 585v7's (my 2 at least) have a nasty habit of warm rebooting if you use both upnp and wireless on them.  Try turning off upnp and see if it is more stable.  The warm reboot might explain the disconnects.  Also, turn it upside down so the air vents on the bottom are taking in clean air.
As a replacement... I'm having lots of stability with second hand netgear dg834g v3 and v4.  Very cheap on ebay.
-- gyre --