cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson Router 585v7 & Static IP

jstoge

Thompson Router 585v7 & Static IP

Hi
I’ve just be sent a new Thompson Router 585v7 and I want to change the static IP of the device to my fixed IP. It’s not being helpful !
Does anyone know the easy way to do this ?
Or is there a work around to be able to use my fixed IP ?Huh
I’ve tried to use the remote access to let a colleague in to try and set it up but it states the port is invalid ? This is driving me mad.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
itsme
Grafter

Re: Thompson Router 585v7 & Static IP

Could you explain what you are trying to do and what you are referring as Static and Fixed IP's
jstoge

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.
My web server and the router have static IP address’s from plus net.
My old router allowed me to set the IP address to the static IP address from plus net and all worked OK. This new router won’t allow me to change the IP address from 192.168….
Hence, the router is still showing this IP address and my server doesn’t understand ? not that I do either !
I believe I either need to change the IP address on the router to the static one or “forward the IP” address to my server ? I’m not sure how that works ?
My web server has internal and external IP address’s, i.e. external is the static one from plus net and internal one is 10.2.2.1
Does that make more sense of what I’m trying to get working ?
itsme
Grafter

No it still does not make sense.  Smiley There are ways you can pass the external IP address across the modem/router but it's not normally required. For Web Hosting you only need to port forward (port 80) to the Server. The web server act on the URL not the IP address. I run a Web server hosting several domains so no good entering an IP address as it will not know which domain web site to use.

So your Web Server should be setup looking for the URL www.thisis my domain.co.uk. The router to port forward port 80 to the server and it should work. One little consideration if you are trying to access the web site from another PC on the LAN then the modem/router has to have Loopback enabled otherwise you will not see the server. Another option is to use a proxy like http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html or go to a internet cafe to acess your server from the WAN side.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jstoge
I’ve just be sent a new Thompson Router 585v7 and I want to change the static IP of the device to my fixed IP. It’s not being helpful !

It sounds like you've got a public subnet allocated from PlusNet, your old router was set up for routed IP with no forwarding and you're used to hosting services (eg vpn, http, ssh, rdp) on your server(s).
The TG585v7 can do this just like your old router but how easy it is to set up depends on how PlusNet have configured it. A standard Thomson TG585v7 firmware comes with two basic profiles for it's setup wizard - one for a privately addressed LAN and NAT, normally called 'data(default), and one where you can set up the router for allocated subnets etc normally called something like 'data(custom)'.
Unfortunately looking at PlusNet's support pages for the TG585v7 at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml it looks like current routers ship with a PlusNet customised profile which doesn't allow for the latter. If your router has one of these PlusNet branded firmwares then your options include:-

jstoge

Thanks for all your assistance.
I've got the internet working on the internal network, so that's great. Did this by changing all the internal IP's that were fixed on the 10.2..... range to match the router on 192.168......
I still need to resolve external access to the web server, but nearly there, just need time to try out the suggestions.............
Thanks again
Smiley