cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson Gateway: NAT? Web server?

Gray

Thompson Gateway: NAT? Web server?

I have the Thompson Router/Modem which Plusnet supplied (TG585 v8, firmware: 8.2.7.7)
Is my router performing NAT? The Firewall is set to "Standard", whatever that means.
I use static IP addresses in a private IP address range. Is it possible to make one device accessible from the oustide internet so that I might browse it from outside? If so, how would I do this and what IP address would I browse it with?
Thanks for any help.
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thompson Gateway: NAT? Web server?

Quote from: Gray
Is my router performing NAT? The Firewall is set to "Standard", whatever that means.

By default it's in router mode, which NATs traffic. You can set it to bridge mode if you wish but you'll then need a second device after it in the network to assign IP addresses to anything connected Smiley
I use static IP addresses in a private IP address range. Is it possible to make one device accessible from the oustide internet so that I might browse it from outside? If so, how would I do this and what IP address would I browse it with?

Yep - provided it has been assigned a static IP by the router (which from the above looks exactly like the case) you can "Assign a public IP to a device" which will put it in a DMZ, this should do what you require.
Hope that helps.
Gray

Quote from: Matt

By default it's in router mode, which NATs traffic. You can set it to bridge mode if you wish but you'll then need a second device after it in the network to assign IP addresses to anything connected Smiley

Yep - provided it has been assigned a static IP by the router (which from the above looks exactly like the case) you can "Assign a public IP to a device" which will put it in a DMZ, this should do what you require.
Hope that helps.

Thank you. I'll see if I can see how to do that!
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Or you set that device on your network to have a fixed IP address (one that can't occidentally be assigned by DHCP) then you use the Game and Application Sharing to set up the forwarding.
So if you have 192.168.0.1 as the local fixed IP and you set up Game/App sharing on Port 80 to forward to 192.168.0.1 then from "outside" you can, from a browser go to http://you.pn.ip.address ; and access the server inside your network.
Gray

Hope that helps.

I logged in to the router and tried the IP assignment function. It told me:
Service: Internet    Device: not assigned & no compatible device.  So there doesn't seem to be a way in to allocating a public IP to a device.
Also, when I display the Ethernet devices, the device I want to give the IP address to is not detected, even though I know it is wired in and I can ping it.
What should I do next?
Gray

Quote from: SteveA
Or you set that device on your network to have a fixed IP address (one that can't occidentally be assigned by DHCP) then you use the Game and Application Sharing to set up the forwarding.
So if you have 192.168.0.1 as the local fixed IP and you set up Game/App sharing on Port 80 to forward to 192.168.0.1 then from "outside" you can, from a browser go to http://you.pn.ip.address ; and access the server inside your network.

This worked! It wouldn't let me put a port number in though, so I selected HTTP Internet as the service. It also let me put the undetected device IP address & the router detects it now
Thank you Smiley