Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a very good start.

James
Grafter

Re: This is not a very good start.

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@crabstix
From what I can see, you seem to be suffering from frequent disconnections which will in turn explain the reduction in line rate.

Is what Adam has said.  Given the nature of DLM it is possible that this has had an impact on the connection speeds.
I understand that there is also noise which would need to be eliminated, however the checks advised in the faults tool would also cover this.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And the checks advised on this forum wouldn't  Huh  Angry      The Noise can also be caused by a faulty filter. Don't try teaching granny to suck eggs. It is common sense to eliminate the obvious BEFORE raising a fault.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm really puzzled by the PN line on this one.
Quote from: crabstix
Anotherone, Can't be specific, but earlier today I had to take out the modem because my wife was getting excessive hiss/crackle on the phoneline, when she was talking to someone.
This is a problem I had with my previous ISP, and I had to take out the modem each time. I can't be specific when I reinserted the modem.

The user has confirmed that because of the phone getting excessive hiss/crackle he unplugs the modem. The obvious first question I would have for the user is whether any of the disconnections shown in Reply #28 are NOT because of him disconnecting the modem.
We've also had it confirmed that he just pulls the telephone plug on the modem - it's obvious that the exchange isn't going to like that which will cause the drop in speed.
The first action MUST be to discover and eliminate the cause of the hiss/crackle - swapping the filter must be the first step. If he goes down the raise a fault route it's going to end up with an engineer being called out. If the engineer finds the filter is faulty the user is going to be charged £50!
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
From what I can see, you seem to be suffering from frequent disconnections which will in turn explain the reduction in line rate.

NSS He's unplugging the router - correct me if I'm wrong but won't unplugging the router from the telephone be seen as a disconnection?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Jelv - Only if that's been done a number of times (like 5-10 in that time period).
Anotherone
Champion

It's quite obvious from what crabstix has said he did not appreciate the potential consequences of his actions. When a forum member has been helping another to get to the bottom of their problems and to give the user advise that doesn't jeopardise their connection or problems in future, and to help narrow down the problem, for a member of Plusnet staff to just cut across that, ignoring it, that is just damn rude.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jameseh
Jelv - Only if that's been done a number of times (like 5-10 in that time period).

So have you established that?
I find it very suspicious that the graph shows long stable periods and then bursts of disconnections - just like someone unplugging/ reconnecting, rebooting and generally messing about with things when they don't really know what they are doing.
Good job there are users around like Anotherone who spot significant comments in the middle of long topics (like the router being unplugged because it makes the phone noisy)!
Edit: Another thing - correct me if I'm wrong, but if he raised a fault wouldn't one of the first things he'd be asked to do would be to try a different filter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

It may well turn out that he has a line problem, he might also have a modem/router problem, it wouldn't be the first time that a modem/router has been know to cause noises on the phone line. Yet another thing to be eliminated - and doesn't the Faults process suggest trying another one as part of the diagnosis - and if that is being dealt with on the forum it's saves time and effort for all parties, ie. including Plusnet CSC/Faults as well as the user, if a fault does have to be raised.
crabstix
Dabbler

I'm very sorry to cause such a stir on the forum, but I appreciate all the advice I'm being given.
Anotherone- I have now disconnected by the method you gave in Reply 10, and after a few minutes I powered down as you advised.
I changed the filter and  powered up and reconnected as you advised. My immediate stats are shown below.
I can assure you all that I have only once pulled out the modem since joining Plusnet, and I did not appreciate the possible consequences of doing this.
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:46
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 12.387
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 391,14 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,4 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,7 / 35,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,6 / 6,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 173 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 35 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5.972 / 46
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 50
dick:green Post tidied up.
crabstix
Dabbler

Further to my earlier comments, I continue to get interference on my phone.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi crabstix,
I have sent you a PM. Have a quick read and respond if there is anything I can help with Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

The question is, do you hear any noise on the phone at all when the modem/router is not connected, or put it the other way about does having the modem/router on just make any noise sound worse? Do the Disconnect method and check the phone line with the phone plugged straight into the test socket - no filter. If there is any noise there at all, report a phone line fault - not a broadband one.
PS., Don't apologise, it wasn't your fault at all.
crabstix
Dabbler

Anotherone, have disconnected as advised, and there is no noise on the line when the router is disconnected, either with the phone directly into the master socket or via the the filter.
I also did a speed check before I disconnected and obtained 2.98MB, and now that I am reconnected it is almost 7MB. This is yoyo time and simply not acceptable.
These are the same symptoms that I was experiencing with my previous ISP, and the reason I moved to Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Whatever the specific cause of this, it will be something common to the line or exchange equipment which is the same for any ISP that has to use BTwholesale products. You can be assured that Plusnet will do their best to try and get to the bottom of what's happening and get it fixed. I will also help with any advise and ideas that may help to identify the cause.
Just for clarity, I assume you are currently using a new modem/router and filters suppllied by Plusnet?
harps1h
Grafter

I have read this post from the beginning and would like to reassure crabstix he has not made a wrong move coming to plusnet. When I first arrived here my speeds were having the "yoyo" effect also, and although it took three attempts over a period of three months, they got to the bottom of it and I have experienced solid speeds ever since. So be assured as Anotherone said they make their best efforts to sort it out. Patience is all that is required.
The second point is about the noise on the line. Recently they switched me to 21CN and on my now old router there was an extreme amount of noise to such an extent that I could hardly hear the other person, it also dropped connection too frequently. Although I never mentioned the noise to PN they knew about the connection drops. They have issued me with one of their own routers and the problems have now disappeared. So maybe as been already suggested if you don't already have one, ask PN for a router, they sometimes defer the cost of it to allow you to test and if you stay with them for a year there would probably be no charge for it. If you leave before the year is out they will then bill you for it. If I am wrong in this then I am sure I will corrected.
Harps1h
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi crabstix,
The best thing to do would be to raise it to us via the wizard at http://faults.plus.net - that'll take you through a few standard checks (please do try them again even if you went through all this with your previous ISP, the results are important and can - and do - change over time) and then it'll raise a ticket through to our faults team who'll run some tests and then get back to you.
We'll make sure to push it on through there, though it'd also be worth trying the suggestions you'll no doubt get in these forums along with raising the fault. There's some extremely knowledgeable people here.