Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thick walls, poor wireless connectivity - what options do I have

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thick walls, poor wireless connectivity - what options do I have

I was trying to set up my parents new wireless router at the weekend, but could not connect upstairs desktop to downstairs router via wireless.
Moving the router is not an option, neither is running a long ethernet cable. I'm thinking the best option is to connect via the homeplug type network over the mains electricity circuit connection, but I don't know much about the products and the quality.
Any advice on the best product to buy, any restrictions, or other possible options would be very much apprciated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
23 REPLIES 23
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Thick walls, poor wireless connectivity - what options do I have

I use some of these connecting at over 150Mbs.
They are very easy to install and configure if required but the default settings work ok.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The trouble with homeplugs is they usually only work on the same ring main, and downstairs and upstairs are usually on different ones. I could be wrong there, and hope I am in this case, but it'd be worth testing if at all possible before spending the money.
It might be worth trying something like this to boost the signal from the router and reflect it up to where the PC is upstairs:
http://www.computing.cc/networking/increase-your-wireless-signal-with-a-homemade-wifi-booster/
Just something else that you could try, I made one of these for my mum and it seems to work alright. Having said that I did get her some homeplugs too, I think these were the ones I got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001M06Y0M/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
Unfortunately they're not on sale any more 😕
Hope that helps a bit.
moley
Grafter

Currently using devolo home plugs all over the house (upstairs and down) with no issues.  My router is upstairs.  Even put one home plug in the garden shed socket for garden surfing.  
It may well depend on the age of your wiring as well - ours is about 10 years old.  
dick:quote

BryanP
Grafter

I also had wireless problems when I changed my computer from a laptop to a desktop and spent money on boosters but to no avail, that’s when I joined PlusNet .
I read an article on the home page of the community home page regarding powerline adapters and thought it was worth a try so ended up buying, like Strat bought a pair of TP Link powerlines, The first one I connect to the router which in my case is upstairs and at the back of the house, the second was fitted to my desktop downstairs and at the front of the house, followed the simple installation and it worked fine, the BB speed is 10 meg and my speed is 9.76 meg.
It was so successful I bought another one on E Bay and connected my redundant laptop to the tv in the same room as the desktop and can now watch catch up and internet tv on demand now.
With regard to being on the same ring I don’t know, I understood that my upstairs was a different circuit than downstairs but the only way I could prove it was to unplug the fuse which in my house is not a viable thing to do.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think homeplugs should work across different rings provided both of these are on the same consumer unit/fuse box. Best to check with the supplier though.
David
chuckster
Grafter

I put these bad boys http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Plugged-Wireless-N-Powerline-Extender/dp/B004EDIAFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT... in at my partners folks place.  It's an old farmhouse and the wifi router is at one end of the building.  The signal didn't reach much beyond 10feet due to extremely thick brick walls.
Purchasing the Netgear kit allowed one of the adapters to be plugged in near, and connected to the router.  The wifi adapter we plugged in near the stairs and hallway.  It's really pretty amazing the effect it's had as the entire property is now 'flooded' and you get signal throughout.  It even extends into parts of the garden.  Admittedly placement of the wifi adapter is a big factor in where the signal will reach.  This is a great bit of kit though and would recommend it from my experience.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This has been discussed before but as I understand it they have to be on the same phase rather than ring and a house with a multi-phase supply is quite rare.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
The electrics in my parents' house is getting on in years, and I'm pretty sure there is only one ring main. It would be easy enough to check if I could look inside the consumer unit.
I do like the look of Matt Taylor's recommendation with the 'plug-through', there are few sockets in the house and most are single sockets.
The broadband is a fast cable connection via Virgin media, would the speed be detrimentally affected if connected via the mains?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
moley
Grafter

As long as you get some plugs rated a chunk higher than their Cable speed you should be OK.  I'd go for 200Mbps or better still 500Mbps plugs - in a kit of the same brand of course Tongue
I run two x 200Mbps plugs with a reported link speed between them of 190Mbps.  The 'remote' plug is a wifi access point and also has 3 ethernet ports.
dick:quote
BryanP
Grafter

I did'nt say in my previous post but I'am on Virgin Media and the speed loss is only 0.24 meg loss
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I bought these and have since bought another for a new internet TV.
At my previous house I had them on different ring mains fed from two separate fuse boxes (yes, old fashioned grey fuse boxes not circuit breakers!) and one of them was on an 4 way extension lead!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Matt
The trouble with homeplugs is they usually only work on the same ring main, and downstairs and upstairs are usually on different ones. I could be wrong there, and hope I am in this case, but it'd be worth testing if at all possible before spending the money.

As others have said, and I too can confirm, this is definitely wrong. I support Strat's recommendation of the TP-Link units (I have 4) but I'm not sure how you get 150Mbps out of them as they only have 100Mbps LAN ports on them!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The one's I've linked are TP-Link TL-PA211. £31.99 for a pair with free delivery is about the best price I've seen.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: KevinG
but I'm not sure how you get 150Mbps out of them as they only have 100Mbps LAN ports on them!

Isn't the 200 the total speed on the homeplug network so 2x100 (up and down) can give you more than 100.