cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The tale so far........

Jonsy

The tale so far........

Early April, noise and crackling on the phone line causing the internet to disconnect. Start Plusnet trouble shooter, which says report problem as phone fault. Fault reported to BT as requested. Engineer visits and confirms line is fine for voice. As he was a broadband engineer, he had a quick look at the broadband side and said there was a fault on the line causing “breakthrough” of broadband into voice channel. All internal equipment and wiring checked as OK. He says fault needs to be reported as a broadband fault. He was unable to look any further as he was tasked to repair a phone fault, not a broadband fault.
16th April, Went through trouble shooter again and reported fault as broadband fault. Plusnet saying they will run tests and get back to me within 24 hrs – they didn’t.
19th April. Plusnet say that my router may be incompatible, so they are sending me a Thomson router. I need to run tests with their router in circuit.
22nd April No sign of the router, so I respond by informing them of BT broadband engineer findings, and suggest an engineer visits.
25th April Plusnet come back and say there may be a fault in the exchange with the line card. However cannot progress fault any further as their system shows an open phone fault. They ask me to check with BT and close it.
25th April I phone BT who confirms that there are no open phone faults on my line and do not know why Plusnet think there is. Information relayed to Plusnet.
26th April. Plusnet say they have raised fault with their supplier, who will carry out further tests. Still no sign of the Plusnet router, so another one ordered.
29th April Plusnet say the fault is still being investigated by their supplier. They say the next step hopefully is booking an engineer, 7 days after I tell them that is what has already been suggested.
1st May Line has been stable for 4 days and the noise on phone has disappeared, broadband profile rises. I think that line has been mended (stupid of me I know) so ask that line be set to retrain.
2nd May Plusnet agree and reset line.
3rd May Noise on phone line returns and internet starts to drop the connection again. I inform Plusnet of same.
6th May Plusnet come back to me and inform me that there is an open phone fault on the line and they cannot progress any further. Ask me to clear the phone fault with BT. Once again I ring BT who says what fault? They ask that Plusnet provide the reference number of the fault that is hampering their activities, and BT will investigate. I relay this information to Plusnet and wait for Plusnet to get back to me with the reference number of the fault.
8th May I am still waiting for the reference number…..
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: The tale so far........

Based on my own telephone problems (now solved) I think that is hard for BT engineers to find intermittent problems or problems that result in poor, noisy lines.  Whilst "breakthrough" of broadband onto the voice channel might cause audible line noise, why would this adversely affect your broadband?   
Jonsy

I am not an expert in this field so I do not know why my broadband should be affected in this way. The noise is more than likely always there, as every time I pick up the phone, I can hear it. Using the phone almost always results in the broadband crashing. It also crashes intermittently, I suspect by the noise level increasing for whatever reason. As the "noise" is the sound of the ADSL signal....I am not sure what exactly happens. When you lift the phone receiver, the upstream SNR drops from 24db to through the floor, and the broadband disconnects  Everything is fine at my end, as the BT engineer used his own phone, micro filter and test equipment in the master socket, and got exactly the same effect. He also checked through the house wiring, and the micro filters are either brand new, or ones I know are OK.
  At the moment it isn’t being looked at by an engineer, and there is no sign of one being appointed to look. The holding point appears to be the KBD system used by Plusnet, which says there is a phone fault recorded on my line, when there isn’t one that I or BT (my phone provider) can see. All reported phone faults are showing as closed. Once this is resolved, I am sure that an engineer will enjoy using his skill and knowledge to solve my problem for me!!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jonsy,
I went to chase this for you but a fault agent was already investigating so there should be an update on your ticket waiting for you.