Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The slowest broadband ever

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: The slowest broadband ever

@daphne91  is the line capable of more speed?

If you enter the number in the dsl checker blow and post the results, making sure you hide the number, I believe it will get to the problem:

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

PaulScott
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 2

@daphne91 wrote:

Hi @PaulScott  and @tinytaco 

Thank you for your responses.

The current account I'm referring to is under my landlady's name and this is also a problem because I can't be put in direct contact with the Plusnet team...and there's a continuous communication breakdown...She got in touch with them, but the Openreach engineer found no fault in the cables. 

This is why I thought to post here, in case there's an easier way to resolve this. 

I'll message you if that'd help. 

Hi @daphne91  no worries - drop me a message with the username and I'll ask someone to review this and give them a call Smiley

Thanks,

Paul

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Mustrum wrote:

@daphne91  is the line capable of more speed?

If you enter the number in the dsl checker blow and post the results, making sure you hide the number, I believe it will get to the problem:

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

We have been there.  There seems to be conflicting information in BT's systems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daphne91
Dabbler

Thank you both. 

I'm attaching the results.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Looking at that, @daphne91 You can only get ADSL2+ at best, albeit with a much better speed than that which you are currently receiving.

John
jab1
Legend

Can you run https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - complete the advanced test, and post the results, please?

John
daphne91
Dabbler

How do I find out if I'm ADSL or ADSL2?

And how do you get ADSL2?

daphne91
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

Don't worry about that at the moment - ADSL 2+ is all you can get - the Annex M is not available to residential customers.

John
jab1
Legend

@daphne91 wrote:

Here's the results @jab1 

Thanks. There is something wrong somewhere, but maybe @Townman can spot it - the only thing that looks a little suspect to me is the latency which appears quite high, and will affect your speed, but I don't believe that is the only, or major, issue.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@daphne91 wrote:

How do I find out if I'm ADSL or ADSL2?

And how do you get ADSL2?

Well the router stats which you posted a while ago reports ADSL_G.dmt.bis which is ADSL2 (but not ADLS2+).

The metrics in those stats certainly do not reflect the characteristics of a line which all of the checkers suggest the line should do 9-16mbps.  Something simply does not add up here.  The router stats are appropriate for a line much longer than all of the availability data suggests your line is.

Either there is a fault on the line which is making it seem longer than it is or the data in the availability systems is completely wrong.  That being the case, I would not trust the suggestion that FTTC is not available ... either way.

That is why I asked for Plusnet assistance here.  This needs to be fact checked before progressing with a technical investigation - which is correct - the router stats or the availability reports?  The location of the property in relation to the exchange would suggest that far better speeds should be available ... however, this would not be the first time that it is discovered that a subscriber's line is not routed as BT's records would have us believe.  Routing via "the wrong cabinet" is not unheard of.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Thanks for that. I must admit to not having reviewed the whole thread prior to posting my comment - bad practice - but I totally agree something is badly screwed up here by someone or something.

John
PaulScott
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 2

Yep something definately not right - @daphne91 was this on Ethernet?

Hopefully someone did get back to you on Friday? If so, hopefully they have run a line test to see if your sync rate/SNR etc reflects the performance you're getting?

Thanks,

Paul

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@PaulScott wrote:

Yep something definately not right - @daphne91 was this on Ethernet?

Hi Paul,

This is not a discussion of DATA speeds, over WiFi or Ethernet, but one of the reported router xDSL stats (both sync speed and implied line length) compared to the BT statements of speed availability.  The correct sync speed for this line needs to be determined so that the right course of action can be taken (as suggested in brackets below.

BT speed availability suggests 9-16mbps at less than 1km from the exchange - router stats report sub 4mbps sync on an implied line length which is much longer (3.8km).

One of the following must be true...

1. There is a serious fault on the line causing it to be electrically longer than it is - possibly an aluminium segment / thinner wires (BTOR fault investigation)
  2. The line is routed through a different cabinet that it should be (BTOR route investigation)
  3. The BT data base is simply wrong, setting in appropriate user expectations (BTOR bridge case to correct records and advise user of options - FTTC or ETC free exit [if on contract] due being unable to deliver minimum speed expectations ... noting that they will not get better speeds with a different ISP!!)

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The speed estimate of 9-16Mbps is at odds with the max observed speed of 4Mbps - so this is really an issue that Plusnet need to raise with OR as there is no other way to resolve this. Of course, the "fix" may be to change the estimated speeds to match the reality rather than improving the speed.

The only other constructive suggestion I can make is to explore 4G solutions.