Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The slowest broadband ever

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: The slowest broadband ever

@daphne91  As @Townman has kindly done an even deeper analysis of the problem than I was going to attempt in the morning, I think I'll keep quiet until we - hopefully  - hear from Gandalf.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Townman wrote:

Service Availability report

Here is where the confusion arises, for it reports that the user is all but next door to the exchange in a very urban setting.  Allowing for the road distance being a bit longer, (1.1km) one would expect to see this line report as 12-15dB DS attenuation.

The telephone number referenced does not check out on Sam Knows "What's my exchange".

The telephone number is reported to be owned by Talk Talk

The post code shown does not match the location shown on the map - 2TT is to the NW of the exchange - the location on the map is 2EA.

@Gandalf is there any possibility that errors in BTOR's database for this line could lead to any of the issue being observed?

BT checker for 2TT reports 7-16mbps and for 2EA 8-16mbps - both of these are better than what the user is experiencing.

Hmm seems I confused myself looking at the, mixing up the graphics for the exchange and the subscriber's location, having my mind focussed on a different mapping application which shows the exchange as a house graphic!!

Also Sam Knows reports up to 2mbps for ADSL - where do the circuits run?  All around the houses?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daphne91
Dabbler

The average we get is probably around 2Mb which is very frustrating for all sort of things. Can't stream anything, zoom calls just crash and of course, never 2 people can use it at the same time. I never imagined that someone could get such a low speed in 2021. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It’s not the decade that determines your speed but how far the electrons need to travel to your home and the technology you chose.

ADSL (ordinary internet) uses the full copper circuit from the exchange to your home, it has a maximum speed of 24mbps and deteriorates over longer lines. At 4km (wire length) you are sub 5mbps on a perfect line. Introduce faults, aluminium rather than copper wires and you’ll see less. That’s where you appear to be.

If you want better then FTTC is available, exchange to your local cabinet is high speed optical fibre and the cabinet to your home is the same copper used by the telephone. Max speed is 80mbps again that deteriorates the longer the length of the copper. FTTC is available to you but it costs a little more.

You makes your choices and you pays your money.

That said the information surrounding your service seems inconsistent, so it would be worth waiting for the tech staff to respond here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daphne91
Dabbler

I don't see anyone replying to the above enquiry? What would be the best way to approach the issue?

jab1
Legend

@daphne91 I see 18 replies between your original and your latest question.Huh

John
daphne91
Dabbler

@jab1  I thought we reached a standstill and we were waiting for a response from a technician...🤔

jab1
Legend

@daphne91 Ah, OK, sorry - I hadn't read @Townman 's last post properly, but unfortunately, your chance of seeing any Plusnet response on here at the moment is close to zero - for some reason they appear to have deserted the forums.

John
daphne91
Dabbler

@jab1 

Thanks, John.

I'll try to chase it with Plusnet pagain. Last time they sent the technician to check the cables but there wasn't a problem with the cables and the issue wasn't resolved. 

jab1
Legend

OK, @daphne91 , but as @Townman mentioned earlier, there seems to be some misalignment in the available data, which he has queried earlier but not got a response to yet. I suspect an engineer visit may be an expensive waste of time, unless you get a really clued-up one.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf

Are you able to catch this please?

daphne91
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf ,

Would you be able to help with the enquiry above? Or recommend someone else who might be able to help?

Thanks 🙂

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @daphne91 Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net and send me a private message with your account username so I can take a look into this for you please Smiley 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
PaulScott
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 2

Hi @daphne91 - have you raised a fault ticket with us already (either via our website or calling us)? I wasn't able to find your account so if you could drop me a PM with your username and I'll ask one of our support team to get this picked up ASAP Smiley - apologies for the delay!

Thanks,
Paul

daphne91
Dabbler

Hi @PaulScott  and @tinytaco 

Thank you for your responses.

The current account I'm referring to is under my landlady's name and this is also a problem because I can't be put in direct contact with the Plusnet team...and there's a continuous communication breakdown...She got in touch with them, but the Openreach engineer found no fault in the cables. 

This is why I thought to post here, in case there's an easier way to resolve this. 

I'll message you if that'd help.