cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Mystery of Speed

MrT
Grafter

The Mystery of Speed

My current download speed is about 1.6Mbps but I think it should be better. I base my on assertion on the following data:
My distance from my local telephone exchange is 2.27Km (straight line), 3.22Km (by road) or  4.1Km per (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php - with a downstream attenuation = 56dB).
Kitz maximum speed calculator (see attached) indicates that I should sync at about 3424Kbps giving a BT profile of 3000.
I am currently syncing at 2016Kbps with a profile of 1750.
I understood that ADSL used the bandwith from 28KHz to 1.1MHz.
Information gleaned using the DMT tool (see attached) shows that nothing above about 621KHz is being used. As I seem to be using only half the bandwidth, does this mean I'm on an upto 4Mbps service?
Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: The Mystery of Speed

Quote from: MrT
Kitz maximum speed calculator (see attached) indicates that I should sync at about 3424Kbps giving a BT profile of 3000.

It's a maximum speed calculator, it tells you the best you could possibly sync at with a perfect line, perfect equipment and perfect internal wiring. 
MrT
Grafter

I realise that Kitz gives a maximum speed. The maximum download speed with a 3000 profile might be about 2.7Mbps. I was just wondering what's happened to the 1.1Mbps that I seem to be missing. I'm dowloading at about 60% of maximum. Not very good!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For tones to be used they have to be able to carry at least 2 bits of the signal (on ADSL1). Since your line can't manage that at frequencies just over 621kHz those frequencies are not used. It doesn't mean your 'up to 8M' service has been capped in any way.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I would have said you are getting a pretty good result for 56 dB of attenuation.  But if you want to try to improve on this, the first thing to do is to try connecting your router to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket and see if that makes any difference.
MrT
Grafter

@spraxyt
Thanks for that piece of useful information.  Smiley
I'm surprised that nothing at all appears above 621KHz. Looks like my line could do with some equalisation or something! I wonder whether there might be a faulty filter somewhere.
@ReedRichards
If only I had a test socket.  Sad
I've tried both master and extension sockets with and without other equipment plugged in - the results don't vary.