Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BT speedtester is still broken

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The BT speedtester is still broken

If I use my 64 bit version of Firefox to do a speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ I just get a grey box where the applet is supposed to be.
If I use my 64 bit version of Firefox to check if Java is working by going to the Java site at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml I get a working applet which tells me all sorts of things, including a little animation.
OK - so perhaps the BT applet is a bit rubbish - so I try it in a 32 bit version of Firefox (same machine).
The Java applet loads Wink and I enter my phone number and user name.
I get a message about a Java security violation
The download keeps going - until it reaches 96%
Then it stops.
Completely.
I close the 32 bit browser and go off and do something else.
To my knowledge, the BT speedtester has been in this state for months (or is it years)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

48 REPLIES 48
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The BT speedtester is still broken

only just done one on 32bit XP sp3 with firefox
MickKi
Grafter

Axisofevil,
BT is a MSWindows shop.
So's most of the UK current and ex public sector organisations, inc. the Beeb.
It is a disgrace that public funds (our taxes) are used to prop up an American private monopolistic business (which has attracted enough anti-competitive law suits to prove the point) and their de facto choice of OS indirectly force us all to pay the Microsoft tax.  Angry
I suggest that you either use a MSIE browser (run it in Virtualbox if you have to) or just don't run it at all.  It hasn't done me any harm not running it on my line.  Anyway, their download speeds are usually way lower than what your line ought to be able to achieve.  This is probably because of their authentication overheads and that abominable Java applet.
Good luck.  Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Axisofevil, I got the same as you.  Tried 3 times to do a test using BT speedtester and each time it gets to 96% and hangs.
It's about time this was sorted out.  You're right it's been like this for months.
tomcat31
Dabbler

BT Speedtester has never worked for me in any version of Firefox, I think it has something to do with the Java app. Works fine when I use it in IE 6 or IE7 though.
VileReynard
Hero

According to M$ Smiley http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/default.mspx
Published: September 12, 2003 | Updated: October 23, 2007
RELATED LINKS
    * Microsoft, Sun Enter Agreement; Settle Outstanding Litigation
    * Microsoft Support Life Cycle Policies
Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of the Microsoft® Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM),
Sun Microsystems and Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java source code and
compatibility test suites. This extension allows Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007,
providing customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule and plan that is most effective for them.
The MSJVM will reach its end of life on December 31, 2007. Customers are encouraged to take proactive measures to
stay informed about obsolete software and move away from the MSJVM in a timely fashion. The MSJVM is no longer
available for distribution from Microsoft and there will be no enhancements to the MSJVM. Microsoft products
and SKUs currently including the MSJVM will continue to be retired or replaced by versions not containing the MSJVM.

So if M$ don't officially support Java why is BT using it?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think MSJVM is *not* the official Java. The official Java Run Time Environment is downloaded from Sun's website and that is where the Java RTE I have came form.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: tomcat31
BT Speedtester has never worked for me in any version of Firefox, I think it has something to do with the Java app. Works fine when I use it in IE 6 or IE7 though.

I have two lap tops XP using Firefox, they both work
I have an Asus Eeepc 4g with Linux and Firefox that works, so dont say it wont work with Firefox it does
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I use Firefox 3 and it has worked on a number of occasions but yesterday it hung at 96% after many attempts.  BT really need to look at this problem.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got this one done
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5447 kbps
this had on the nav bar    http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
while another poster claims this
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 02082****** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
90 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 87.114.**.**, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows NT 5.2.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
    For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
    For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
    For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
    For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

Is he using the correct test? as it is so different
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Is the other poster on max or a fixed line product?  Not sure if it makes any difference, but could do maybe.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm sure it was established a while back that the user was on a fixed (2mbps?) product.
I also recall that they were moving to Max but I couldn't see how that would solve their very low throughput problem.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

so the BT speedtest is "£$INTELLIGENT$£" enough to know the difference  - ta problem solved
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

That is only a guess on my part, which may come from a distant memory that I once had!  Roll_eyes
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

The speedtester isn't intelligent - it fails to to even load in 64 bit Firefox although the Sun Java validation checker loads perfectly.
Something wrong here?