Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That time again...

JamesM
Grafter

Re: That time again...

Thanks Chris,
It has been bucketing it down here all day so maybe the weather is playing a part.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Afternoon Jim,
I've looked a little further into your sync speeds, it appears that you may be affected by REIN or SHINE, this is interference. The difference between the two is that REIN is more of a constant interference whereas SHINE is interference generated as a burst.
Example causes of REIN and SHINE:
Many electrical devices could be responsible for causing REIN and SHINE that affects your Broadband service. Below is a list of some example sources, however many electrical devices have the potential to cause REIN or SHINE:
Faulty power adapters.
Timed devices, such as central heating.
Christmas tree lights (especially on ‘flash’ setting).
EPOS and PDQ devices.
Faulty set-top boxes, televisions and other appliances.
Power cables running close to telephone wiring in the home.
How can I prevent REIN or SHINE affecting my Broadband service?
In the vast majority of cases, the source of interference will be within your own home. As a starting point, you should ensure your Broadband equipment is connected to an ADSL filter at the BT Master Socket – the socket through which the telephone line enters your premises. Internal wiring can act as an antenna to interference, so eliminating or reducing the length of internal wiring will do a lot to minimise the effects of REIN or SHINE.
To find the cause of interference is a process of elimination, once you’ve optimised the physical set up of your equipment look for patterns in when problems occur and determine what device is powered on or becomes active at those times. If you can’t locate any single source power off all electrical devices and switch them on one-by-one, monitoring for the symptoms of interference until you find a source.
If you have ruled out all of these internally then we would need to investigate this further and hopefully get to the bottom of it.
Chris
JamesM
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for looking into this for me.
Just to give you a history of my connections and hopefully not bore you.
I had a 10m extension cable going from the bottom of my stairs, through the hall (under the carpet), under the door, round the kitchen wall into the dinning room, round the dinning room wall to the opposite side of the dinning room to my router, then a plusnet supplied cat 5e cable to my computer, I tried numerous ADSL and cat cables, filters and a few routers to no avail. I then moved my router to the bottom of the stairs and plugged it straight into the master socket with a 1m adsl cable and bought a 10m cat 6 cable which then followed the old route of my extension cable to my computer. Still no change.
I have now moved my computer into my lounge so I can hook it up with a 5m HDMI cable to my TV. So now I have a 5m CW1308 cable hooked into the face plate from the BT socket, across the hall into my lounge. Then to an extension box with a filter then a 1m adsl cable to my router and another to my cordless handset. I have 2 other cordless handsets running off power only but receiving signal from the main cordless phone.
The only thing I havent tried is another phone setup. I have an old Australian corded phone so I might give that a go.
As for interference, I can't imagine anything that would be doing this. I have tried my router in 3 different places now with varying cables and nothing seems to make a difference.
Anyway I will try and find my old Aussie phone.
Thanks again.
Edit,
I have my old telecom Australia phone hooked up and working,  :D. Say it is my cordless phones intefering, should I unplug them all from the mains or just unplug the main cordless from the phone socket ?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I would take it out of the power supply, any device that carries an electrical current could interfere with your broadband connection. So it is purely a case of process of elimination.
JamesM
Grafter

I have swapped phones, the only thing on in my house is the fridge and the freezer so I think REIN and SHINE can be ruled out,

Type  Interleave Path
                          Status  SHOWTIME
                                            Downstream    Upstream 
  Data rate(Kbps)                    11128              1203
  Noise Margin                          6                      5
  Output power(dBm)              12                    20
  Attenuation(dB)                      29                    16

Estimated line speed:10Mb (This may vary between 8.5Mb and 12.5Mb) - Checked on 2012-07-17 17:42:50
Current line speed: 9.3 Mb
itsme
Grafter

Have you disconnected the ring wire in the master socket?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You really need to eliminate the extension lead by using the supplied short lead to connect the router directly to the test socket inside the master socket. Have you checked if the extension lead crosses or runs parallel to any of the house electrical wiring?
Worth noting is that Cat 5e Ethernet cable can be up to 100M with no risk of any issues - that is the preferred way of extending the internet connection a distance from the master socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Believe the 100m apply from the modem/router to a PC not from the master socket to the modem/router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes - thanks for clarifying that. It is what I meant.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: JamesM
As for interference, I can't imagine anything that would be doing this. I have tried my router in 3 different places now with varying cables and nothing seems to make a difference.

Your imagination is too limited.  Go watch Avatar, imagine you could do all that stuff then try again.
There are TWO places you need to try your router:
1)  The test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket
2)  Somewhere else.
If the router syncs at the same rate in both locations then you do not have a problem with interference (that you yourself can do anything about).  No point running a speed test.  If you getter a better result in the test socked then you DO have a problem.

JamesM
Grafter

Thanks for all the advice,
The cable runs from the BT socket (behind the face plate CW1308) connected to 2 and 5, it runs under the carpet with no other electrical cables near, under the door and to a extension socket, then a filter with an old wired phone (non cordless) going into the filter, and a PN supplied adsl cable going into the filter and to the router on my computer desk and a PN supplied cat 5e cable going into my PC case.
I have tried the test socket about 7 or 8 times in the last year or so, the only difference I have seen is that I get a slightly higher sync when it is not in the test socket.  
Now I have moved my PC into the lounge, I would say my router is about 4m from the master socket. The only electrical object between my router and the master socket is a power outlet which my PC is plugged into. I have bought a new PSU because my old one wasn't powerfull enough for my new GFX card so I am certain it isn't my PSU failing and causing interference.
My opinion is, the only way I will get the speed according to my attenuation is for BT to rewire from the cabinet to my house  Cheesy Cheesy :D........ is that a flying pig in the sky.
Edit,
I have just got rid of a 10m cat 6 cable as I used to have the router next to the master socket and the 10m cat 6 cable going to my PC.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: JamesM
I have tried the test socket about 7 or 8 times in the last year or so, the only difference I have seen is that I get a slightly higher sync when it is not in the test socket.  

The slightly higher sync is a bit surprising.  Do all your phones stop working (i.e. no dial tone) when you use the test socket?  Do you have a burglar alarm wired directly to the phone line?
JamesM
Grafter

When I am in the test socket, I have a spliter coming out of it and then only my router connected to the spliter. None of the phones are connected and nothing else wired directly into the phone line. I don't have Sky either,  so at the moment I have a CW1308 cable connected to the face plate with 2 wires going to 2 and 5 and that is all that is connected to the master socket. Tomorrow I will try the test socket again by moving my router into the hall and then a 2m cat 5e cable to my computer and a 2m adsl cable from the spliter in the test socket to my router.
When I say I get a slightly higher sync, I mean it could go from 10500 to 10600, which could be just down to the time of day.
I am reluctant to start a fault because the last time I said my line had been capped, I was told that it wasn't and then for some reason my upload was capped and interleaving was turned back on. This then took around 3 months to get the interleaving turned back off and my upload uncapped again because there was an open order on my line which no one knew anything about. Then after all that I was told my line was capped after all.  Huh
JamesM
Grafter

I am now in the test socket with a splitter into the test socket, a adsl cable into my router and a cat 5 cable into my computer. Nothing else connected, no power on anything else apart from the fridge and the freezer which are 6 or 7 metres away.

Type  Interleave Path
                          Status  SHOWTIME
                                            Downstream    Upstream 
  Data rate(Kbps)                    11128              1180
  Noise Margin                          6                      6
  Output power(dBm)              12                    20
  Attenuation(dB)                      29                    16
Exactly the same sync.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Something isn't right. With that attenuation you should be syncing much higher. I don't think your connection is banded because if it was the noise margin would be much higher.