cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing out a spare router

sleepyjohn
Grafter

Testing out a spare router

I have a spare router (Tenda W300 ADSL 2/2+) which I'd like to try out on my Plusnet broadband in place of my Technicolor TG582n.  One reason is so that in case of problems I'll have some backup that I've tested and I know works,  and another reason could be to take advantage of the couple of substantial external wifi ears that my Tenda sports to get more penetrating and more directional wifi coverage.
I think I can configure the Tenda so long as I know all the setting requirement for accessing Plusnet's broadband.    These settings came all preset in my Technicolor so it's not so obvious what they all are.    One significant question about these settings that I'm unclear about is whether Plusnet actually needs a broadband username and password to access the service.  I know ADSL1 systems used to need these,  but believe I've read somewhere that ADSL2 and later versions can dispense with them.    On the other hand Plusnet-Handbook.pdf under Advanced Router Details says "Your Broadband password is the same as the one you use to log in to our website".   
At this stage I'm looking for any pointers towards special proprietary settings that Plusnet needs to see in a connected router,  or any other possible snags,  so that I can assess the chances of getting my Tenda to interconnect with the Plusnet network.
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Testing out a spare router

For any "other" router you should just need to add your username@somethingplus.net & password.
If you are on adsl then that should be it, for fibre you need to make sure it is set for pppoe and you have connected the bt modem to the wan socket.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

HairyMcbiker
All Star

For EVERY router I have used I have just need to do the above, Unless it is from another country then they default to the rest of the settings correctly.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No you haven't
username@somethingplus.net & password.
Won't work - it should be
username@plusdsl.net & password
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I put somethingplus.net because I believe there are several options, not just plusdsl maybe I am wrong.
maybe I should have put <somethingplus>.net ?Huh
pengyou
Grafter

You are not wrong - my router is configured to use username@freeonline.net & password
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is quite correct but all new customers since September 2007 at the latest have been on the plusdsl realm and that is why I suggest that we shouldn't confuse newish customers with options which aren't applicable
http://www.plus.net/support/service/onewebsite_faq.shtml
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Hi again guys.      I've been following your exchanges with interest so pleased don't let me interrupt your dialogue.  Roll_eyes  It's all helping to clarify the situation.    Grin    One certainty that does seem to be emerging from what you're all saying though,  is that a broadband username and pw will  definitely need to be entered in my spare router before it will work.  I must have been wrong thinking that ADSL2+ doesn't need them,    I'm not at home where I can log-in to my Technicolor TG582 to check just at the moment,  but would I be correct in assuming that all the settings I'm going to need,  apart from the password, will be in there and available for me to copy? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes they will but it is scattered about a bit
This it link to the login details and you can get the rest from the first link I posted if you need them
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/is/_pppoa_/ov/?be=0&l0=2&l1=2&name=Internet
The reason your present router did it automatically is that it includes something called TR -069 which checks with Plusnet and automatically fills it in as the router is registered to you