cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing connection query

billpinetree
Hooked

Testing connection query

Hello. I have been on PlusNet for a few years now, as the service has always been excellent. However recently on my wireless connection the connection has had lots of disconnects, sometimes several short breaks per hour, other times OK.

I am using a little program called Net Uptime Monitor (NUM) to test the connection. 

At the moment I have a direct connection from the pc  to the modem, and running the NUM and no failures so far, after an hour or so. The modem is plugged into the BT test socket, no phone attached.

Question. Would it be OK to simultaneously run the NUM program on my other pc (wireless connection) to see whether that is showing faults, or would that invalidate one or other or both tests?

Thanks, Bill

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Testing connection query

Hi Bill, firstly welcome to our community forums.

I wouldn't be able to advise on the NUM program as I've never used anything like that before, but I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any definitive issues with the broadband signal coming into your router.

Your connection also seems to be stable:

image1553798379881

It sounds like the issue may just be related to the wireless signal between your router and your devices. If that's the case i'd recommend running through the steps Here to try improve this.

If you do start to notice problems across a direct wired connection, let us know and we'll increase what's called the signal to noise ratio(SNR) on the line from 3dB to 6dB which should help with any instability we may not be seeing.

I'm reluctant to increase the SNR at the moment as this may not be the cause for the problem and as a result of increasing the SNR you'll see a slight reduction in your download speed as that's sacrificed to try to improve the stability.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Are you using a Plusnet Hub One by any chance @billpinetree?

If you are, can you confirm the version it's running on?

(log into it - http://192.168.1254 and go to the bottom of the page)

If it's like this - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated xx/yy/19 - did the wifi issues start around the date on your router?

billpinetree
Hooked

Hello DS

Thanks for the suggestion, but no. It is a Thompson modem. Bill

billpinetree
Hooked

Hi Anoush. Many thanks for your comments, also for the connection log

That Net Uptime Monitor pings 3 sites at 5 sec intervals  and if the response in all 3 cases is >200ms then it starts recoding a failure. It does seem fairly useful.

I will have a go at the channel change and will let you know in due course.

Bill

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for clarifying Bill.

(cross you off the list then:))

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Bill, no problem. It's also possible the router may be on its way out based on how long you've had it, but let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
billpinetree
Hooked

Hi Anoush. I had a look at the networks with a program called Netspot.

It shows 15. Average signal is -44 on mine, channel 1. Next highest signals are -59, -69, both channel 11.

Of the 15, 4 on channel 1, 5 on channel 6 and 6 on channel 11.

Is it possible to use a channel such as 3? Also I am thinking it might be worth using the other band, but maybe that is not an option on my ancient modem.

Cheers, Bill

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @billpinetree,

Thanks for getting back us.

I'm afraid you cannot split channels on the Thomson modem/router. By all means you can certainly try channel 3, let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

billpinetree
Hooked

Hi. Thank you Mads. I will try that and come back in a day or two.

Bill

DS
Seasoned Champion

Is it possible to use a channel such as 3

You can use any you like, but something to consider is WiFi overlap - rather than me, google will explain all Wink

billpinetree
Hooked

Hi Maddy.

I have now tried channels 2 and 8 and still getting frequent breaks in connection. 

I knew I had been on PlusNet for a few years, but it is about 8 years judging from when I joined here. I think I will have to have a new dual-band modem as the 5 GHz band may be a better option. Any chance of PlusNet changing mine, as it is so old? Failing that please advise what one I should look for myself.

Thanks, Bill

Bill

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @billpinetree,

I am sorry that's not worked as we'd hoped. I have created a ticket on your account with further info for you. You can view it here.

Thank you.

billpinetree
Hooked

Hi Maddy. Thanks for that information, great.

Bill