Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test download speed

DaveMcC
Grafter

Test download speed

Hi all
As a test would some one else please go to the following site http://software.opensuse.org/114/en and start a download of there choice, taking note of the download speed, I would like some one that has fibre as well as standard brd-band to do this and post the download speed here, this is just to compare what can be achieved
My download speed is
759kbps
4200 kbps line speed
Thanks 
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Test download speed

Download speed 461kB/sec (3688kbps) IP profile 4000kbps on Value
WWWombat
Grafter

I chose the "Direct Link" option, and started downloading the default "OpenSUSE 11.4" 4.7GB DVD.
- On the first go, this sustained 1.8-1.9 MBps (14.4-15.2 Mbps) until I ran out of disk space. I freed some space up, then...
- On the second go, it sustained 2.5 MBps (20.0 Mbps)  until I stopped it after 100MB.
- On the third go, it sustained 2.6 MBps (20.8 Mbps) until I stopped it after 200MB.
I then chose the "Pick Mirror" option, and selected the one for "mirrorservice.org" (The Kent download server):
- This sustained 750-800 KBps (6.0-6.4 Mbps) until I stopped it, after not too long.
I then chose the "Pick Mirror" option, and selected the one for "mirror.rackspace.co.uk":
- This sustained 3.9 MBps (31.2 Mbps) until I stopped it after 200MB.
All speeds were taken from the information offered in the Firefox "downloads" pop-up, so are going to be the nett speed (in bytes) of the file downloads, without including the TCP/IP overhead.
The last one was probably topping out my connection - which is a fibre connection with a profile of 34800 (so a sync of roughly 36Mbps).
Note that under "Fibre Extra", the connection to "mirrorservice.org" will be classed as a "Download Server", so will have been managed to a limit of 10Mbps at this time of day.
Note too that I'm careful to use "MB" and "KB" when the sizes are in bytes, and "Mb" and "Kb" when the sizes are in bits.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
DaveMcC
Grafter

Thanks for that, Oldjim and wwwombat, shame a few more didn't try that site,
It gives a feel of what can be achieved, or in some case'es maybe not
If some more would like to try out and see what speeds can be downloaded, they may even download the whole OS and give it a try, if they run only MS
Me, I run ubuntu ver 10.04 64bit, which I do like, faster and sweater running than winXP in my opinion
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Peaked at 2.9Mbps from Plusnet Towers
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I tried using Chrome browser but that does not report a download speed!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just tried it for a short time - it maxed my 20CN line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)