Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible latency please help

FIXED
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Terrible latency please help

HELP!!! noticed this weekend getting very slow (latency 160-320mS vs normal 40-70) but may have started before, DSLSTATS normal downlink 4963Kbps BUT thinkbroadband as low as 1.5Mbps and no higher than 2.1. Is this a network problem ? My DSL has been up 11 days, last interruption was OR cable replacement, could they have introduced problems ? I notice my error rate seems to have gone sky high from a normal FEC rate of 2-3K/min I am now running 15K/min Any help appreciated

QLT is clean and both SNR's stable

1st attempt to post this failed!

OK I was hoping someone would tell me if there's a network problem, in the absence of that I will try a restart and report back.

Nope pretty much the same so this is either a network congestion problem or an OR fault (introduced) I hope Plusnet in the fulness of time will investigate, meanwhile I will add some plots from the restart, not very easy given the abysmal service!!

This is how bad this service is http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1493486736700326955

And this is typical of when its working properly http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1491131911361209855

The SNR's just wobbled so I waited to see if anything would happen but no, error rate and latency still very high, so here is the snr plot

Well it's pretty much unusable, that's twice today I have tried and failed to download some software I need Sad

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

15:45pm went away for a while and had to stop dslstats recording, came back and seemingly the situation has improved, FEC errors back down to 1-2K/min latency to 94mS & downlink up to 4.1mbps, amazing what happens while your not watching! snr about the same at 5.8dB though its nosediving as I type!

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
2 REPLIES 2
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Re: Terrible latency please help

This is looking like REIN again, AFTER OR replaced a lump of multi-pair overhead about 10 days ago, just gone on the blink again, see SNR/error plots gone all nasty and unstable

19:00 settled down again, but I fear temporary, let's see (new snr plot)

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Re: Terrible latency please help

Fix

Just spoke to an OR man at my pole (it's a big junction for our village so they often congregate there) and he told me they had been doing some re-jointing in some underground boxes over the weekend along the route so it looks like this caused some general disturbance even though my pair didn't appear to have been actually cut. Anyway today everything seems normal and has been since my last post so I guess I dont have to worry about the new lump of cable and just put this down to unknown OR activity along the route to the exchange, my attenuation is 53dB so that gives you a fair idea it's a long way away and impossible to know what OR might be doing along it at anytime. so seems like a fix!