cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone number mix up.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Telephone number mix up.

About a year ago we changed our BT provided telephone number for personal reasons.
At the time I contacted PN and was told it would make no difference to my PN broadband.
What is troubling me is that in order to get  B.T. Speedtest to work I still, after all this time, have to enter my OLD telephone number.
I contacted PN again and was given my Service ID number to use instead. This works but I wonder if BT re-allocate my old number to someone who needs broadband if I will lose my broadband ?    If I dial the old number it has not yet been re-allocated.
Any thoughts anyone ?
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Telephone number mix up.

I'd also be concerned whether it might prevent you upgrading to FTTC/FTTP (or at least cause difficulties in doing so) or the (unlikely?) case of you choosing to change ISP?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Upgrading wouldn't be an issue as the use the 'service id' for this anyway.
I'm not entirely sure how you would get this fixed, but would suggest a call to our provisioning team would be a sensible starting point.
prichardson
Grafter

These numbers are intended to update, but the notifications do not always get from Openreach though the broadband chain.
There is a process we have were this is not done, so that we can arrange for it to be done.
This isn't a problem that will impact your broadband as noted, but more an inconvenience of using the wrong details and having to arrange with another party to do this.
I'm not sure why we have not taken this case on from the off, which is concerning. I can't however do much about the incorrect advise, as this was supplied in excess of 8 months ago.
I have submitted a request to have these records checked and updated.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: w23
I'd also be concerned whether it might prevent you upgrading to FTTC/FTTP (or at least cause difficulties in doing so) or the (unlikely?) case of you choosing to change ISP?

Unable to get  FTTC  anytime soon as we and the rest of the estate are connected EO.
Unless PN make a major boo-boo I shall be happy to stick with PN, their value package suits my needs and my speed doesn't fall with contention issues (touch wood).
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: P
These numbers are intended to update, but the notifications do not always get from Openreach though the broadband chain.
There is a process we have were this is not done, so that we can arrange for it to be done.
This isn't a problem that will impact your broadband as noted, but more an inconvenience of using the wrong details and having to arrange with another party to do this.
I'm not sure why we have not taken this case on from the off, which is concerning. I can't however do much about the incorrect advise, as this was supplied in excess of 8 months ago.
I have submitted a request to have these records checked and updated.

Thank you for that, I'll check in a week or two to see if it's changed.
prichardson
Grafter

I've had confirmation back and the records should be updated within 2 working days. In otherwise, run a BT Speedtest from Tuesday onwards and it should be fine.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: P
I've had confirmation back and the records should be updated within 2 working days. In otherwise, run a BT Speedtest from Tuesday onwards and it should be fine.

Now happy to report that  BT Speedtest is working correctly from our new number.
Thank You
Oldgeezer.