cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolour router... uPnP & workgroup issues

Wurls80
Dabbler

Technicolour router... uPnP & workgroup issues

Upgraded to fibre package last week. Thought I'd get a netgear router, but got a technicolour one which brought back bad memories of the old Thomson that plusnet provided with the original connection. Encountered similar problems but this time managed to sort them..... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101799.0/topicseen.html
However. Having spent the evening getting most of the home network working with this router (why can't I chose the static IP addresses for machines on the network?? Why is the GUI so unintuitive??), I still had two issues to solve:
1.  the uPnP devices on the network couldn't see the uPnP server running on the NAS: the only device they could see was the router itself
2. our windows XP machine apparently wasn't allowed to access the workgroup it was on, meaning it couldn't mount the NAS as a network drive.
So over the weekend I thought I'd investigate both. I logged in as admin into the router, and tried to get my head round the idea of "assigning a game of application to a local network device". I also confirmed that uPnP was enabled. I didn't actually change any settings. I opened one of the uPnP players on another device and - I could see the uPnP server running on the NAS, and all was operating correctly.
So 1. appeared to be solved, though I was a little unsure as to what had changed.
I booted up the windows XP machine and googled the error I was seeing. I reset the the TCP/IP stack (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357) as suggested, and found I could now access the NAS as a network share.
I was happy but a little dubious, because (apart from reseting the TCP/IP stack on the XP machine), I hadn't actually changed anything, and the only thing that had changed that had led to these issues was the use of the Technicolour router within the network. So I'd expected to be making changes to that.
Lo and behold, with no further changes to anything, I can now no longer access the uPnP server on the NAS from any other devices on the network (again, all uPnP players can see is the router), and the windows XP machine can no longer mount the NAS as a network share. The XP machine can see the NAS on the network and I can access it in a browser by IP address, but I can't mount it as a network share. Since this machine runs the iTunes library from the NAS, this is a pain. I've tried reseting the stack which has had no effect.
Does anyone have any advice or solutions or either problems? I don't find the router at all flexible or intuitative to setup. I'm also concerned that the router seems flakey - these issues appear to start and stop working independent of any changes being made to the setup itself.
The only thing that changed in the network and led to these issues is the inclusion of the technicolour router (I can't see the switch to fibre broadband causing the issues, as that's "external" to the home network, though admittedly the router is gateway between the two). I can see a simple way of getting it all working again but it involves buying a new router, which is going to be £100+ solution from what I can work out. Which seems a bit daft when I'm not asking the router to do anything complicated or difficult to do  - this should be well within its capabilities.
All thoughts and guidance appreciated....
4 REPLIES 4
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Technicolour router... uPnP & workgroup issues

Hi there,
I've had a chat with our products team and it should work fine for you with this set-up. There's nothing that you should need configure for this.
Have you tried a factory reset of the router?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't know if this will help, but you could try disabling the routers UPnP AV Media Server, on the off chance it conflicts with the one in the NAS.
You'll find the setting here:
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/csharing/ov/?be=0&l0=3&l1=12
Wurls80
Dabbler

npr - many thanks for the guidance. I tried it but it didn't work, though now my uPnP devices can't see the router (as a uPnP media server), so it did do what was expected. Good idea, thank you.
Chris - many thanks for your response. I'm not hugely keen on a master reset since the router was only installed about 10 days ago, and I then had to spend the evening reconfiguring everything on our LAN because the router won't let me chose the IP addresses I allocate. I'm assuming if I master reset then I will have to set that all back up again?
Although the uPnP issue has only worked once I thought I was going somewhere with the windows XP machine using shares on the NAS as network drives. It was working so long as I restarted the XP machine (if I hibernated it, as I normally do, it couldn't reconnect to the shares when it woke up). I have a short script the machine runs on startup to connect to the shares. I tried running this script after waking the XP machine up, but it couldn't connect (which I thought was a little strange, but I guess something else must be being reset/configured on startup that doesn't happen when it's woken from hibernation).
However although it booted up and connected to the shares it has subsequently lost access to them and even after restarting the XP machine 3 times it still won't reconnect. So it isn't as simple as works on restart, doesn't work after hibernating.
It looks like the router is not "handling" the NAS on the network correctly (or consistently) - other devices can't see the uPnP server on it, and one of the machines can't access the shares. The only change to the network that has caused this is the inclusion of the technicolour router. Do I need to use the "Assign a game or application to a local area network device"  within the router setup? I'm a bit confused as what this does and why you need to do it, as I've never seen it in routers before (except for in the Thomson one, if I recall correctly). I have no idea what of the options I would choose if this is applicable.
What else should I be looking for? The network drive issue is only seen on the XP machine, my Ubuntu, Windows & and android devices can access them ok. The uPnP issue is seen by all machines.
Failing that, what alternative routers should I look into? I assume I'm looking for a standalone router without integral DSL modem, wireless N, but other than that there's  nothing specific I need to look for to find a router that will work within the fibre modem? I don't have a lot of confidence in the technicolour router, so if I'm going to have to mess about reseting and re-configuring it, I'm tempted to get something else and spend the time configuring that once instead*

*And yes, I'm hoping that this will tempt fate and the router will start working to prove me wrong. Got to be worth a try!  Wink
Wurls80
Dabbler

Sorry, meant also to say:
- the NAS is a ReadyNas Duo (v1)
- I disabled the uPnP enhanced security feature within the router but this has made no difference.