cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolour Router will not speak to Sky On Demand Wireless Coonector

ancestor
Grafter

Technicolour Router will not speak to Sky On Demand Wireless Coonector

I have had my Sky On Demand Wireless Connector for over3 weeks now, and have had several phone calls and live chats with Sky about problems connecting to my PlusNet Technicolour TG582n Router. In wireless mode, the Connector does not even find any local networks (and there are several around me), so it is not an issue about security settings nor channels, etc.
Sky have run out of ideas - you can tell that when the line suddenly goes dead. For what it is worth, everything works fine if I use a wired connection, but that is not a practical solution for me due to the position of the router in relation to the wireless connector.
This may be a forlorn hope, but has anyone managed to get connection between these two bits of equipment?
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Technicolour Router will not speak to Sky On Demand Wireless Coonector

Try plugging your Sky wireless connector in to a PC or laptop....then go to this webpage http://skywirelessconnector
See if you can find your network then.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Assuming you tried to find any wireless networks via these instructions http://help.sky.com/tv/using-on-demand/fix-problems-with-on-demand and you don't find any I would suspect that the box is faulty
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It may be down to the poor wireless performance of the PN router. I'm using an Asus RT-N56U with my Sky on demand box without any problems.
ancestor
Grafter

Thanks for you replies.
Andy H - the link you sent doesn't work. Can you check please
Oldjim - I think you may be right. I have been through all of those instructions and many more dreamt up by Sky Advisors without any success.
tijara33 - it may be, but I have been using it for over a year now without any other problems
AndyH
Grafter

That link is to access the config page for the Sky Wireless Connector - it's not a normal external website. Make sure the sky connector is connected to your PC/laptop and you are not connected to any other wireless networks or LANs. It will then allow you to scan for a wireless network and input any password. If this works, it should be just a case of plugging your connector back into the Sky box.
A lot of people resolved their issues this way.
ancestor
Grafter

Thanks AndyH. The connector page opens but asks for a user name and password. I have tried both my My Sky ID and account ID with their appropriate passwords but it will not accept either. This happens regardless of whether I am connected to my LAN or not. Any suggestions please?
AndyH
Grafter

Try
Username: admin
Password: sky
You need to connect your ethernet cable on your PC/Laptop into the Sky Wireless Connector (if you aren't already doing this)
There's a bit of a guide here http://www.chrisnharvey.com/blog/2013/06/hacking-the-sky-wireless-connector
ancestor
Grafter

Just to close this off, the suggested fix made by AndyH has worked. I am a bit slow with anything new, so it took me an hour or so to sort it out, but Hey Presto, I now have Sky On Demand using the free connector supplied by Sky, but with absolutely no thanks to Sky. I have never had much help from Sky Customer Services over the years, but the last 'advisor' I spoke to must be the most incompetent I have come across in any organisation.
Many thanks AndyH, I got there in the end.
AndyH
Grafter

Am glad you got there in the end.
For some reason, a lot of users have the problem where the connector doesn't find the wireless network. But if you set it up manually as below, then it works fine. I don't think Sky would tell you about accessing the config page for the wireless adapter - even though that is the only way some people can get it to work!
ancestor
Grafter

Final word. I complained to Sky about their appalling customer service and completely untrained - and therefore useless - advisors. I have received an apology, and £20.50 refund (apparently that is 2 months cost of Sky HD) I wasn't looking for money, just to make my point, but am not going to say No.
thesawdust
Grafter

Was this the free USB one? I never had any problems