cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n - how to disable router config over WiFi?

aq

Technicolor TG582n - how to disable router config over WiFi?

Hi there,
on my previous wifi modem - a Linksys - I could disable wifi access to the router's config page.
This meant that I could only configure it over a hard ethernet line.
So - no-one could hack in over the wifi and do what they wanted, they would need physical access to plug in an ethernet cable.
So far, I haven't found a similar setting on the Technicolor TG582n .
I tried "Interface Enabled" but that just seemed to turn off the Wifi completely - a bit too drastic! I want WiFi - just no login to the router over it.
Maybe I should just use the Linksys instead?
Thanks for your help,
  - Adam
10 REPLIES 10
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Technicolor TG582n - how to disable router config over WiFi?

As long as the wifi user does not know the username and password they cannot get past the login page to make any changes
aq

Not the answer I was looking for. Even if you disable admin login as an administrator and have another one, the other admin account is still listed in the config page.
This is all available over WiFi at the moment. So a hacker can get into 'admin' and look at 'change user' and know what the real administrator's username is, all they then need is the password. (And that ignores all the backdoors into the kit we don't know about.)
Not secure enough for my liking, so that's why I asked the question - how to lock down to physical Ethernet access only.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given that the password is fairly complex and specific to the router it is an unlikely scenario
Of course you could change the router password yourself to something really complex
You could also use the Wireless Access Option to block all new wireless connections
aq

Thanks for that but all those who respond with "leave it on  but change a few settings/password/etc" aren't really getting the point. I asked a specific question - see the title.
So I started firkling around in the config after telnetting in. (Over Wifi - yes this must be shut down too!!!)
It seems these lines might have some bearing on the ports open:
[ servmgr.ini ]
ifadd name=PPTP group=lan
ifadd name=HTTP group=lan
ifadd name=HTTPs group=lan
ifadd name=FTP group=lan
ifadd name=TELNET group=lan
ifadd name=DNS-S group=lan
ifadd name=MDAP group=lan
ifadd name=SSDP group=lan

Am I going in the right direction here? Perhaps FTP the config, edit it a bit, save it back on and see if it's shut down those ports over WiFi? What's a good group to chose for Ethernet only?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

What is the real problem here, as opposed to your desired way of working?
One cannot connect into the router to affect configuration (over wifi or Ethernet) WITHOUT a username AND password, either via http or telnet.  No log in details, no access.
Whilst the user name 'admin' is common to the default configuration, each router has a unique password, which if you want to, you can change to anything you want.  You can add users with whatever names you want and set individual passwords for each.  You can delete the user called 'admin'.
Is that not secure enough?  If not please advise why.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aq

.... still not aswering my question...
The user requirement here is: For admin rights you need physical access to plug in an ethernet cable.
The reason is: any access over WiFi can be performed over  the airwaves by anyone off my property. Forget passwords, encryption, etc, these are copyable keys.
Physical access is a physical key, another level of security.
Linksys obviously realised this because there's a simple tick box to perform this operation in the user interface  - job done.
So please help with answering the original question. Thanks.
Getting back to that the config specifies physical ports such as "ethport2" and "ethif2". Can I just use one of these? I don't mind if I only have the config interface available on one physical port.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To answer your question - No you can't easily
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Look at option e) here:
http://npr.me.uk/remote.html
Restrict the IP address which has access to the routers HTTP to say IP 192.168.1.10
You would then need to place a PC on that static IP to have access to the GUI.
Alternatively, if you wish it to be really secure move the wlan to a different vlan.
The wireless would then, in affect, be on a different network and not have access to the routers GUI or ethernet connected devices.
The following will give you the basics but you'll need to change the commands around some what.
http://npr.me.uk/advdmz.html
aq

At last - someone who can help! Yes I took a quick look, I'll put together  some commands and try them out.
Looks like some useful stuff there. FTP and Telnet look like they need to be moved for sure, so I think the second option might be best.
When you have teenage boys in your house, not to mention their friends coming round, locking down the network can be somewhat of a high priority.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: aq

When you have teenage boys in your house, not to mention their friends coming round, locking down the network can be somewhat of a high priority.

May be best to create a second, guest, wireless network for the kids and not tell them the password for the main wireless.
The second option will do that, the commands are all there for that, you just need to use the correct options Wink
So you're trying to make the LAN secure not just the routers GUI.
Your request makes more sense now we know the reason.
You could even lock the guest network to using opendns, that would annoy the kids. Wink