Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n - Wake On LAN?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Technicolor TG582n - Wake On LAN?

Quote from: MJN
Wireshark is what I'd recommend on Windows/Linux so I'd suggest that as a starting point.

i've installed wireshark (which was a right pain on a mac as you need to find and install X11 too which is no longer included in OSX).
no idea how to use it to do what is required for this test though.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thinking about it, it probably won't be fruitful running it on the Mac Mini as I can't see why the Macbook Pro would send a WOL packet without first checking to see if the Mini is actually asleep. It therefore really ideally needs to be running on another machine.
However, if you do want to try it, then there are many tutorials out there that will show you how to run a packet capture with Wireshark. What you are looking for is the detection of the WOL magic packet. If you look at the attached capture you can see the WOL packet that I sent from my Android phone (using this app) over wifi to the wired LAN. It is packet number 297 (the contents of which are in the bottom two frames) and 298 is just the 'port unreachable' response from the target which is expected because there's nothing actually listening on UDP port 9 - it's the network card that is listening out for it on the wire.
To conclude; the TG582n does support WOL from LAN-to-LAN and Wifi-to-LAN with no additional configuration required. To support WOL from WAN-to-LAN you need to add a UDP port 9 forward towards the destination (I'm pretty sure the router doesn't support directed broadcasts - my older TG585 certainly didn't) but I only include this here for completeness as this isn't what you're trying to achieve. I haven't experimented with WOL from WAN-to-WiFi but I imagine that is likely to me more problematic, more down to the target than the router though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

pass ?Huh