cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n Router Problem or Wireless Card Error??

Spruance
Grafter

Technicolor TG582n Router Problem or Wireless Card Error??

I switched on my PC about 2 hours ago to check my bank balance but noticed an exclamation mark over the 'online' symbol and indeed it transpired that not only was I offline but that I couldn't even log into the Technicolor Gateway diagnostic area of my router. I initially suspected my Edimax USB wireless adapter but thought it strange that the adapter was receiving a signal from my router as well as the half dozen or so from neighbouring properties. Equallly mysteriously I was able to get online throughout the PC problem with my adjacent Sony Bravia Smart TV.
I had intended to reset the wireless adapter but thought that I would first try a forced restart (power down) of the router and lo and behold that seems to have done the trick. What I don't understand is if the problem is with the router then why can the wifi enabled TV connect without problems when it is literally just feet away from the PC and so receiving the self-same wifi signal?
Much head scratching at the moment!  Grin
7 REPLIES 7
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Technicolor TG582n Router Problem or Wireless Card Error??

Hi Spruance,
It sounds like it's an issue on the wireless adapter side of things, have you got another wireless USB to try? Is your current wireless USB 'g'  or 'n' compatible?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Spruance
I had intended to reset the wireless adapter but thought that I would first try a forced restart (power down) of the router and lo and behold that seems to have done the trick. What I don't understand is if the problem is with the router then why can the wifi enabled TV connect without problems when it is literally just feet away from the PC and so receiving the self-same wifi signal?

But... you restarted the router, so the wireless connection to the PC dropped out and had to be re-negotiated when the router came back up Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Chris and sorry for the delay getting back but the self same thing has just happened again. No connection to router on the PC, not even allowing me to view event logs and having no option but to restart the router to get back online. Interestingly this was also the solution put forward by Microsoft's own diagnostic tool. My existing USB adapter is indeed wireless-n compatible and no I don't have another at the moment but it looks like it may be an idea to get one.
I was wondering - as a potential standby option -  if it would be possible to use the Sky wireless connector which feeds an internet connection to my Sky box via ethernet. Huh
Obviously I don't want to keep restarting the router as otherwise that could see my linespeed reduced by the boys at the exchange. Tongue
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Did you actually try unplugging and re-plugging the Edimax USB adapter?
Spruance
Grafter

Not just now although I would have done this had the router reboot not worked.
Even if it isn't the Edimax wireless adaptor it makes sense to have a spare so have just ordered a TP-Link TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter from Amazon for £15.02 which looks just the ticket.
Still rueing the 'money-saving' decision to buy a PC without a built-in wireless card last time around. Live and learn etc.  Wink
Spruance
Grafter

Just by way of a quick follow-up...
The TP-Link USB adaptor arrived today and is up and running although I might as well have tossed the set-up guide in the bin for all the help it was.
All looks good so far especially as this is the first time that I have achieved 1Mbps upload on my ADSL2+ connection.  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good to hear, and thanks for letting us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team