cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n Networking and File sharing with a PS3 and pc

ultima2009

Technicolor TG582n Networking and File sharing with a PS3 and pc

hi
ive just had fibre optic broadband installed. they provided a Technicolor TG582n FTTC,
before this was fitted i had a hard wire lead running from my ps3 to my computer to play movies and music loaded there.
I have had the tg582n installed by the tv and the ps3 and tv are connected to it and ive been trying to network the computer upstairs to see the files with no joy.
today i hard wired it all to the tg582 and the ps3 still cant see the computer only the router.
can this router be used to network between all that is connected to it or will it only allow each piece of equipment to see the internet.
i do have a brightbox somewhere if the technicolor is no good?Huh
thanks dom
17 REPLIES 17
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC help please

If you received the BrightBox from EE fibre broadband (Orange or t-mobile) It can work on Plusnet but if you received it for standard broadband AKA ADSL, it won't work s it doesn't have a VDSL modem built in.
Also the main question I have no experience in.  Perhaps you could try powerline adapters one at the PC and one at the PS3.  I have the latest PS3 and haven't tried yet will try tomorrow if I have time.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Bright
Grafter

The TG582n should be able to interconnect all devices connected locally to it by ethernet or wifi.
Are they all set up to get their IP addresses and DNS server address from the router using DHCP? And have they all been correctly assigned an IP address on the same local subnet (192.168.1.xxx)?
Is it possible the computer is running a firewall that could be blocking access from the PS3?
I'm afraid I don't have a PS3 so I don't know how it accesses media files on a computer... Do you have to run a media server on the computer which the PS3 can access? Or can the PS3 browse the computer's file system?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@Bright
It can connect to computers but windows media player is required.  As I no longer have a Windows computer I am unable to offer my knowledge support.  I have found this I hope this helps http://www.igoy.in/connect-ps3-to-windows-7-through-wmp-12/
Also anyone who knows, how do you insert a hyperlink into a word?
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Bright
Grafter

@JamieDanjoux
Thanks - so it looks like WMP runs a media server on the PC but you have to "white list" network devices that are allowed access. Not sure if that's the OP's problem but hopefully something here will assist!
To add a URL link to a word, highlight the word or phrase, click the "Insert Hyperlink" button on the toolbar (2nd row, 3rd from left). That adds a pair of URL tags around the word. Then insert the cursor into the first tag immediately after URL and before the ], type = and then paste the URL. So it looks like "URL=http://www.igoy.in/connect-ps3-to-windows-7-through-wmp-12/" in your example, but with square brackets in place of the quote marks.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hyper link didn't work like you suggested i did here as the hyperlink text
http://=herehttp://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/  for this website http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
ultima2009

hi no i haVENT SET UP IP ADDRESSES... im new to all this tech.
if i run wirelessly or wired from computer to ps3 it sees all the files. if i use the tg582n wired to ps3 and wireless to pcthey have internet nbut no shared files. if i run them both wired via tg582n they dont see the files/
im not knowledgeable about these things but dont mind having a go..
thanks for the help guys
dom
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

What I would suggest is a good pair of powerline adapters which can be found Here, Amazon have some good ones at a good price!  Then plug the distributor end to the computer and the receiver end at the PS3, I wouldn't suggest modifying your router as it could potentially degrade your service performance. Also its a direct connection on powerline adapters
Jamie
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You shouldn't need powerline adapters. This has something to do with Firewall settings and I believe uPnP but I'm not expert in this area and don't have a PS3.
Hang on in there, someone who knows will spot the thread and post, but I suggest you edit the Title to make it more obvious what you need - you can do this by editing you first post - suggest you delete the FTTC help please, as FTTC has nothing to do with it, and replace those words with "Networking and File sharing with a PS3.
HTH.
Bright
Grafter

@ultima2009
Is the TG582n set up exactly as it was shipped to you from Plusnet? You haven't changed any settings (other than getting your DSL username and password set up, which probably happened automatically when you first connected it up)?
What was the setup before you had Plusnet FTTC installed? You said the PS3 was wired directly to the PC...? That was with an ethernet cable?
Both the PS3 and the PC had internet access in that (earlier) configuration? How did they get it? For example, was the PC also connected wirelessly to a previous router? How did the PS3 access the internet? Via the PC or it too had a connection to the router?
Have you changed the configuration of the PC or PS3 from how they were set up before, or just plugged them together in a different way?
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
Hyper link didn't work like you suggested

your link
your link

Like that ^  Cool
Edit: Never mind, I just noticed you figured it out  Crazy
ultima2009

Quote from: Anotherone
I suggest you edit the Title to make it more obvious what you need - you can do this by editing you first post - suggest you delete the FTTC help please, as FTTC has nothing to do with it, and replace those words with "Networking and File sharing with a PS3.
HTH.

thankyou i have done as suggested
ultima2009

Quote from: Bright
@ultima2009
Is the TG582n set up exactly as it was shipped to you from Plusnet? You haven't changed any settings (other than getting your DSL username and password set up, which probably happened automatically when you first connected it up)?
What was the setup before you had Plusnet FTTC installed? You said the PS3 was wired directly to the PC...? That was with an ethernet cable?
Both the PS3 and the PC had internet access in that (earlier) configuration? How did they get it? For example, was the PC also connected wirelessly to a previous router? How did the PS3 access the internet? Via the PC or it too had a connection to the router?
Have you changed the configuration of the PC or PS3 from how they were set up before, or just plugged them together in a different way?

hi thankyou... i have tried to change settings to get it to work but not sure if i changed them all back.
originally, i had pc wirelessly to an old router and the ps3 talked to it wirelessly too... but transfer was slow sometimes. so i then ran a ethernet cable up stairs to the ps3/router and it talked wirelessly to pc... it was faster but ocassionally stalled... so then befor eplus net i ran ethernet direct from pc to ps3. this was fast but cable run up the staircase.
the new install ment router is now downstairs next to ps3/tv/and amps....as said if i run ethernet now between pc and ps3 its fine, go through the router its not.
thanks  dom
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Re: Technicolor TG582n Networking and File sharing with a PS3 and pc

At least you knew how to solve it!!
Jamie
P.s I hope we have all been help!
Bright
Grafter

Re: Technicolor TG582n Networking and File sharing with a PS3 and pc

So previously you had the router, the PC and the PS3 connected in a triangle? I'm surprised that worked at all  Shocked
To get the PS3 and PC to talk to each other directly over an ethernet cable, they would need to be configured with fixed IP addresses on their ethernet ports, so I suspect your problem is something to do with the way you had them configured previously.
I'd be inclined to reset their network configurations back to the factory default and start again from scratch. But I don't have a PS3 so I can't advise you how to do that. I think you'd probably be better off looking on PS3 or Windows forums or just Googling your problem. Have you tried working your way through the PS official instructions here?
As far as I'm aware there is nothing unique about the Plusnet router that would prevent communication between a PS3 and a PC, provided they are both configured correctly to connect to the router.