cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n IP address

hergrom

Technicolor TG582n IP address

Hi, I've just joined Plusnets fibre optic broadband service and was sent a Technicolor TG582n router to replace my old Sky Sagem router which Sky issued me. The IP address of my old Sky router was 192.168.0.1 and it had DHCP enabled to hand out addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.75. I had connected to one of the ports a Netgear router which was situated in another part of the house configured to be a wirleless range extender, the Netgears IP address was 192.168.0.75 and it had DHCP enabled to hand out addresses from 192.168.0.76 to 192.168.0.150. I mainly used the wireless Netgear router to extend the wireless range to reach my PS3 and Xbox360 which are a long way from where my main router is. I was hoping that I could continue this when I replaced the Sky Sagem router with the Plusnet TG582n but as the IP address of this router is 192.168.1.254 the Netgear router and TG582n cannot see each other. Is there any way to reconfigure the TG582n to have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and ask it to hand out IP addresses of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.75 just like my Sky Sagem one did?
I have searched the net to try to find a technical manual for the TG582n without success, couldn't even find one on Technicolor or Plusnets website. I have found a post with some information how to change the IP settings but it didn't work for me so I must have interpreted them incorrectly. I tried ringing Plusnet technical support and was told to post the question here. Thankyou.
9 REPLIES 9
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Technicolor TG582n IP address

hergrom

Thanks, I've never used telnet so will print and read those instructions very carefully as in my experience of doing things I do not understand they always go wrong and I end up it a bit of a mess. Been trying to get it to work all day and am going a little cross eyed so may try again tomorrow.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I used it when i first started out, if it all goes wrong,  just use the reset button on the Router.
Good Luck.
edit: hergrom here is some telnet help just incase, there is a wealth of info on this site that belongs to a plusnet user http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#telnet have a mooch.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Of course you may find it easier to change the IP address on the Netgear to 192.168.1.xxx?
Some further queries/suggestions - Is the Netgear box actually set up as a wireless extender (ie bridge) or is it still in router mode?  Have you connected the PlusNet router to the WAN port or a LAN port on the Netgear? 
You should be able to run all this with the DHCP server turned off in the Netgear router and let the PlusNet box handle all the address allocation.  You just need an address on the Netgear box for management (setting SSID/passwords etc) so you could leave it where it is if you don't need to access it often...

hergrom

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try the easier route of changing the address of the Netgear router from 192.168.0.75 to 192.168.1.200 and switching off it's DHCP and that seemed to do the trick. The Netgear router was still in router mode as it was hard wired to the TG582n as it was to the Sky/Sagem router. To be fair I don't fully understand what I am doing but usually get there by farting around, getting frustrated when it all goes wrong and then trying again another day using any advice I can find.
I do think the TG582n is a little unpredictable as sometimes it will supply wireless Internet to my laptop and sometimes it will not so maybe I'll look into changing it for something better after the 2 week settling in period is over if it's still giving me problems. I'm not sure I understand the concept of using one of the TG582n 4 ports to feed a signal in from the supplied BT Openreach modem. If I bought another 4 port wireless router to replace the TG582n would that work the same way so I would have to plug the Openreach modem into one of its 4 ports?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm not sure I understand the concept of using one of the TG582n 4 ports to feed a signal in from the supplied BT Openreach modem. If I bought another 4 port wireless router to replace the TG582n would that work the same way so I would have to plug the Openreach modem into one of its 4 ports?

Let me try to explain. The Openreach modem requires connecting to a router that has an ethernet WAN port capability. These are often referred to as 'cable' routers and they usually have 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports. The TG582n is prinarily an ADSL modem/router and has a DSL connection to connect to the phone line and 4 LAN ports. PlusNet provide what is essentially the same router hardware for both ADSL and Fibre, but the Fibre one has different firmware (the software inbuilt into the router) which turns LAN port 4 into a WAN port.
If you were to replace the router, you therefore require a 'cable' router ( rather than an ADSL/modem router ) and this will have a dedicated WAN port to which you connect the modem, thus leaving all 4 LAN ports available.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hergrom

Thankyou for the explanation which makes perfect sense. If I decide to replace my TG582n I simply buy a 4 port cable router, when it's advertised as a 4 port cable router then it should have 4 LAN ports for my use plus a WAN port to feed the fibre optic broadband signal into it from the BT Openreach modem.
That said then it's rather naughty of Plusnet to state "Get our latest 4 port wireless n technology router worth £40" when advertising their fibre packages as if you buy a fibre package from them then the router is effectively a 3 port router and not a 4 port as they've reconfigured one of the 4 LAN ports to be a WAN port.
Maybe if I make the TG582n redundant then I could flash it with firmware to turn it back into an ADSL 4 port modem/router. I could then sell it for the £5.99 Plusnet charged for P&P which is all it's worth.
So many helpful people on this forum, I've learned a lot already.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Maybe if I make the TG582n redundant then I could flash it with firmware to turn it back into an ADSL 4 port modem/router.
No problem. All the various firmwares and flashing instructions (and utility) are here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ . I do believe that the latest 10.2.5.2 Fibre firmware has an inbuilt option for switching to ADSL without reflash. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html .
In fact the TG582n has always been capable of extensive reconfiguration from the CLI without reflash.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hergrom

Thanks again, when I've got round to replacing the TG582n and it's no longer needed then I'll have nothing to lose by playing with it. Tried to reflash my old Sky/Sagem router as it was locked down to Sky but that didn't really work too well, still locked to Sky. Not really that bothered, just proves that I'm a bit of a novice at this type of thing so I'll just learn and experiment on hardware which I can afford to bin if it all goes wrong.