cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC USB 3G Internet Failover/Backup

cyper
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n FTTC USB 3G Internet Failover/Backup

So I read a number of topics and pages and found that this router support 3G internet as a failover/backup: http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Category:Router_TG582N
I have only 2 questions:

• Is there a list of supported dongles? If not can you recommend one that is known to work without any problems?

• Does it switch automatically to the 3G connection if the Fiber drops? If not, is there a way to alert when the main connection drops, so I can switch manually?

13 REPLIES 13
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC USB 3G Internet Failover/Backup

If you use the following telnet command you'll get a list of supported 3g devices:
mobile device list

These are listed on my TG582n running firmware 8.C.M.0
Name          : ZTE_MF627 (preconfigured)
Name          : ZTE_MF100 (preconfigured)
Name          : HUAWEI_E1690 (preconfigured)
Name          : Zoom_4595
Name          : H_E220
Name          : H_E1725Cu
Name          : H_E180
Name          : Alcatel
Name          : Telsey
Name          : ZTE_MF110
Name          : H_E1762
Name          : H_E1752Cu
Name          : H_E1752Cu_OV
cyper
Dabbler

Same list with mine.
So these that say preconfigured would be plug and play with no setting necessary?
Also do you know if it automatically switches to 3G if main connection drops?
dick:quote
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

It's something I haven't tried but this thread may give you some ideas:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4144671-re-tg582n-using-3g-backup.html
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

So these that say preconfigured would be plug and play with no setting necessary?
Also do you know if it automatically switches to 3G if main connection drops?

I tried with an MF627 and it seemed to work ok. IIRC it doesn't auto switch to 3g, you need to connect the 3g manually.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cyper
Dabbler

Pity it doesn't auto switch. Any solution for a warning when the main connection drops?
For example I need to know even when I'm sleeping, so I can wake up and switch to 3G. Or when I'm out, so I can login remotely into the router and activate the 3G.
Another solution would be TP-Link TL-MR3420 which supports auto switching:
WAN Preferred
In this mode, the router will try WAN access first;
When the WAN access fails, and 3G access is valid, the router would switch to 3G access;
When the router succeeds to connect to the WAN network, the router would stop the 3G connection and switch back to WAN access immediately.

dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Another solution would be TP-Link TL-MR3420 which supports auto switching
It does seem to, what's it's 3g modem compatibility like ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cyper
Dabbler

cyper
Dabbler

So bought a ZTE_MF627 from Ebay for £4.75 delivered.
Unlocked it and tested 2 regular SIM cards from monthly contracts: T-Mobile Full Monty with all Unlimited and Vodafone with Unlimited Min/Text + 2GB Data.
They both work with the TG582n router, but the speed is a bit slow, especially the Upload. I managed to get around 1Mbit/s Down and up to 0.10Mbit/s Upload on Speedtest with both SIMs.
Tried directly connected to my computer = same results.
I even used a 5m USB extension cable and put the dongle outside the window - not much of a difference.
The important thing is that it works. Automatic failover doesn't work, but you can't have everything. If anyone wants that just get TP-Link TL-MR3420.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you tried with a 3 sim to see if its getting better coverage or speed ?

I used to be with orange but the signal would fluctuate wildly despite the weather being a nice clear sunny day with a gentle breeze,  with 3 I get a far better signal and thus better speeds  (not to mention cheaper monthly costs )
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
cyper
Dabbler

Quote from: nanotm
have you tried with a 3 sim to see if its getting better coverage or speed ?

I used to be with orange but the signal would fluctuate wildly despite the weather being a nice clear sunny day with a gentle breeze,  with 3 I get a far better signal and thus better speeds  (not to mention cheaper monthly costs )

I haven't.
I will most probably get the Ovivo deal. Pay £20 just once and get 150 mins, 250 texts and 500MB data every month. Or just 750MB data every month.
lotrjw
Grafter

Nanotm is right about 3, they do have the best 3g network in the country and i get good speeds on my phone. It might be partly the hardware you are using, does it use HSPA? T-mobile did share a lot of 3's network but not all I don't know what the coverage of EE is like, the now merged Orange and T-Mobile, Orange used to have very bad 3g though.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd avoid orange/T-Mobile (EE) like the plague to be honest there prices are over the top and the connectivity is poor to none existent
3 currently have 12mbs speeds on there almost 4g service (LTE lite) and that will improve up to a maximum of 20mbps over the next few years as they roll out the upgrade across the country for full LTE (4g) service, there also retaining there full 2g+3g capacity and just adding the higher 4g service on the top,
then you get into price plans where forPAYG there the cheapest operator by far (generous data plans) and if you get one of the lifetime discount contract plans they just cant be beaten
never heard of the Ovivo until I saw your post, having looked into them I wouldn't touch anything that forced me to watch adverts in order to use a service....but that's a personal choice....
if your looking to provide a mobile failover service for your network though your going to need some heavy data plan unless you basically don't need it or don't care about paying exorbitant overuse fees, or in the case of some operators just get service suspended, ulitmatly meaning you loose the backup option anyway ..

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Billion 7402NX is another router with auto failover, a few occasionally appear on the second-hand market a lot cheaper than the retail price (I do have a 'spare' if anyone is particularly interested - not used for over a year so not on latest firmware though).
Current dongle compatibility list: http://www.billion.uk.com/compatible-3G.htm#7402X
Also does auto fallback (switches back to main ADSL or EWAN (compatible with FTTC) when reconnected).
I used to use a t-mobile PAYG stick with £2 per day option.  Samba mobile may be OK for occasional backup type use.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.