cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n + Airport Extreme router. ADSL.

markct

Technicolor TG582n + Airport Extreme router. ADSL.

Apologies for what is a regular topic but although reasonably computer literate, this is not an area I am familiar with. I need to use an Extreme with the TG582n and have found a fair amount of partial information, sometimes contradictory, sometimes confusing but I do not have enough confidence in it to actually try and implement it. Is there such a thing as the DEFINITIVE guide to setting up the TG582n/Airport combination. Given that it is such a regular topic, maybe the clever Plusnet people have made some sort of step by step guide for the not-quite-idiot. Prior to my new TG582n I had a Speedtouch 536 modem working well with my AE and was wondering if it might  be easier to try it instead of the TG582n... Thanks in anticipation...
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor TG582n + Airport Extreme router. ADSL.

Try:
Place the TG852n in bridge mode:
http://npr.me.uk/nbridge.html ; Use the telnet method.
Connect the airports WAN port to one of the TG582n's LAN ports.
Configure the airport to pppoe and enter your plusnet ppp username and password in the airport.
I've never used a airport but the above should point the way.
markct

Thanks for your help. For anyone's info... I decided that using the 582n was a challenge too far and went back to my trusty old Thomson Speedtouch 536. Despite its age it configured easily and speed with the Apple Extreme is the same as with the 582n.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

For future reference, if you need to use the 582n, the Apple AE spec has
Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL modem, cable modem, or Ethernet network

(my bold)
Which means that the 582n, with wireless turned off and DHCP using a different address set to the AE, could be used with the AE WAN configured for "ethernet" (or "dynamic IP") connection. This works fine, but with two firewalls/NAT it will affect latency etc - though whether you will notice it ..... Roll_eyes
Also, port pass-through becomes more complex as you have to set up two paths!
Finally, you are still able to get the line parameters, which are generally not available using bridge mode, and I think trouble shooting is easier Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.