cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor 582n

Chinners

Technicolor 582n

I've just signed up for Fibre, and in a foolish hurry paid postage for a the above mentioned "router".
Reading reviews, it appears to be a poor device, with poor wifi range and very poor speed, and the web ui being rather restrictive.
Is there a full online manual of this device I can skim through to see if it's up to scratch? Is there anywhere that specifies full specs (i.e. I read that the wired ethernet ports are only 10/100)
If it isn't suitable for my needs (which again, I am assuming not), what do I need to look out for to buy a replacement? Are any users using a third party device that does the following at minimum:
DHCP Server, with assignment of static IP addresses
QOS
Port forwarding that will allow a web server to be hosted (I occasionally develop web sites and use it as a test bed)
True VPN

Also, I previously paid for a static IP address. Will this change? Will I still have a static IP?
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Technicolor 582n

Your static IP should remain as it currently is.
You can find the info about the 582n here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/tg582n-information-and-specifications/
The fibre specs are partway down the page.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chinners

Oh great. Looks like I've wasted money on getting this shipped to me. To start with, a 10/100 net port in 2013? Crazy I will not mention the endless bad reviews out there and no real documentation to be found.
Looks like another job for wiii-cycle man.
So. Can I use my existing adsl modem instead of this? Obviously I would connect the openreach box to an ethernet port and... well, I don't know.
What do I need to look for to get a proper specced router that'll work with the openreach box, rather than the micky mouse wind up toy I've ended up with. Would a standard cable router work?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The Thompson router can't be opted out of in the FTTC purchase journey, so not a mistake on your part. You don't have to use it, though.
Plenty of threads on the forums about alternative routers - use the Search Force, Luke...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chinners
So. Can I use my existing adsl modem instead of this? Obviously I would connect the openreach box to an ethernet port and... well, I don't know.

Unless it has a specific WAN port that can establish a PPPoE session using your PN credentials - no.
Cable routers may be OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chinners

Quote from: Jaggies
Plenty of threads on the forums about alternative routers - use the Search Force, Luke...

Smiley
I've just started on this journey... and have only found page after page of bad news. On other non-related forums, I have only heard 1 good comment - "it works, but I don't do anything other than surf the web".
Now I have half an idea what I have to look for, and now the initial feeling of "being fooled" has passed, I will commence my search.
Quote from: jelv
Unless it has a specific WAN port that can establish a PPPoE session using your PN credentials - no.
Cable routers may be OK.

Bum. Looks like my current gadget is destined for e-bay then. I can put the pennies earned towards a proper better real router, one that does not involve yoghurt pots and string.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

What make/model is your existing router ?
True VPN
Do you mean VPN endpoint support or just VPN passthrough ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looks like my current gadget is destined for e-bay then.

Don't! Having a spare router provided by your ISP is a good idea in the event of you having a fault as it can be used to eliminate the router from an investigation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chinners

Quote from: MisterW

What make/model is your existing router ?
True VPN
Do you mean VPN endpoint support or just VPN passthrough ?

Currently using a cheapish Netgear thingy - Model number escapes me (I'm at work at the mo) It is VPN Passthrough that is essential.
Quote from: jelv

Looks like my current gadget is destined for e-bay then.

Don't! Having a spare router provided by your ISP is a good idea in the event of you having a fault as it can be used to eliminate the router from an investigation.

No, I wouldn't dream of selling the one supplied by plusnet. As you say, it'll be useful as a backup, or keeping the room warm. I meant flogging off my Netgear.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Currently using a cheapish Netgear thingy - Model number escapes me (I'm at work at the mo) It is VPN Passthrough that is essential.
Almost certainly a DG834 of some variant I would guess, in which case definitely doesn't have a WAN port. All routers should be capable of VPN passthrough.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WonderWabbit
Grafter

This thread interests me as i have an alternative router provided by Sky:
i would like to change out my Thomson TG582n with Sky's SR101-z ?
I tried setting it up, but while it sees all Local Connections, it doesn't register internet connectivity. Obviously something more i've got to do in the settings.
Don't want to hi-jack your thread with set-up details, but would like to know is this worth pursuing and do-able?
Many thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sky's SR101-z ?
Most SKy routers are 'locked' to Sky I'm afraid

Chinners

Quote from: WonderWabbit
This thread interests me as i have an alternative router provided by Sky:
i would like to change out my Thomson TG582n with Sky's SR101-z ?
I tried setting it up, but while it sees all Local Connections, it doesn't register internet connectivity. Obviously something more i've got to do in the settings.
Don't want to hi-jack your thread with set-up details, but would like to know is this worth pursuing and do-able?
Many thanks

Feel free to use the thread.
I think we are both in the position where we don't want to use the plusnet "approved" jokebox, and I am sure I may need help configuring my replacement anyway.
To me, it seems odd that for plusnet's flagship product, they give you this pooter.
It's like buying a BMW M-class, but having to sit on a bar-stool to drive it.
Chinners

Quote from: MisterW
Almost certainly a DG834 of some variant I would guess, in which case definitely doesn't have a WAN port. All routers should be capable of VPN passthrough.

Its an old, dusty but capable DGN2200...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As far as I can see, the DGN2200 doesn't have an Ethernet WAN capability either I'm afraid.