cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor 582n router slow wifi

seanebaby

Technicolor 582n router slow wifi

I just received my Technicolor 582n router after upgrading from fibre to fibre extra.  The wireless signal strength is very poor, speeds are 10x slower (through wireless, ethernet is no change) compared to the Netgear plusnet router it replaced. 
Not much else more to say really.  Everything in my setup is exactly the same as before (wireless channel, relative position of router and devices etc) except the router had changed.  Not particularly impressed considering this was meant to upgrade my wireless. 
Anyone got any ideas/advice other than going back to the Netgear router?
3 REPLIES 3
Rik13
Grafter

Re: Technicolor 582n router slow wifi

I've just put my old TG585V8 router back on this morning which was reliable . The 582n I got recently kept randomly loosing connection to the internet  both wireless and ethernet despite having a reasonable signal and I had to keep rebooting the pc or router to regain it. The signal strength is better and more consistent on the 585 as well. Not much help to you I know, but I'm not too impressed either.
Gareth6
Grafter

I got the same router recently (Wednesday) after my previous one (Netgear N150) died. I'm not impressed with the WiFi either. Although it's faster than the previous one if I'm in the the same room, the signal (and speed) drops off very, very fast.
I think Plusnet is missing a trick by not trying to upsell a higher-end router e.g. dual-band, gigabit switch and not so ugly!
Right now I'm checking out options, but the Linksys N600 is in the lead.
seanebaby

It just took 2-3 minutes for me to download a driver update, something that would have been instant on my pre-upgrade router.  I think I'll be switching back and asking for a refund.
This is properly bad form, this router has worse signal than the one sky sent me 3 years ago (which is a damning comment), first time I've ever had anything bad to say about plusnet.