Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical question about speed vs distance from the echange

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Technical question about speed vs distance from the echange

Quote from: Carl
I'm transferring both over but believe the phone line moves over a couple of weeks after broadband, is that right? If it means getting things sorted then I am happy to wait a couple more weeks.

Yes, that's right Carl, the broadband first and phone afterwards.
Quote from: Oldjim
In your case, when the problem is sorted I would expect an upstream noise margin in excess of 20dB and downstream of about 12dB or perhaps more as you will be restricted by the speed limit on ADSL1 (8,128kbps when interleaving is switched off)

Maybe I'm just reading that wrong, Jim, but you do realise his services aren't with us yet?
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jojo,
My answer was related to the general question of attenuation and noise margin and has nothing to do with who supplies it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok Jim, it was just because you said "In your case, when the problem's solved" Just me getting the wrong end of the stick Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Carl
Oldjim's post here is spot on so I won't go over SNR again, but don't worry about logging the crossed lines - one instance is sufficient for us to investigate further. A BT engineer will be needed (assuming the problem continues) but this is a pretty standard fault so there shouldn't be too much trouble getting the visit arranged.
culluding
Grafter

My broadband is now with Plusnet, plug and play, literally 🙂 I've installed all the Plusnet kit (router, filter, wires in box) & have a speed of:-
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 320 / 192
I can't see any mention of noise or attenuation on the Thompson router. I believe the line is still with my previous provider for the next couple of weeks.
What would be my next step? Call support, or can one of the lovely support people take action from this message? 😉
Carl.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

noise and attenuation should be given here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
culluding
Grafter

Thanks OldJim. Here it is:-

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 20:10:45
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Fast
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 376 / 192
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 320 / 192
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 205.65
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 11.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 13.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Carl.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Something is horribly wrong
Can you plug the router into the test socket with nothing else connected and report the stats (the test socket is the one behind the lower plate on the master socket)
However the cross talk problem could be doing it - so will need sorting
Just to add the good news - once it is fixed you will get very fast speeds indeed - on ADSL2 in excess of 20,000kbps probably
culluding
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Something is horribly wrong
Can you plug the router into the test socket with nothing else connected and report the stats (the test socket is the one behind the lower plate on the master socket)

This is a new house, there isn't a test socket. BT terminates outside and the housing association electrician wires the house & connects to the plastic BT box. I have opened the plastic BT box and half is marked as BT only & closed off. The other half has the connectors where the wire from the house connects. A local BT engineer told me this is the way new houses are connected now. For problem solving it adds another third party into the loop...  I have spoken to the electrician who wired these houses and he tells me there is no electronics in the house, only wires, so they either work or the don't. I have three sockets in the house and the phone works in all of them, as did my previous router, albeit slowly. The only other device I have connected to the line is my phone which is connected to the same filter as the router. I will try the router without the phone connected when I get a chance this week. I have tried it before with the previous ISP and it didn't make any difference.
However the cross talk problem could be doing it - so will need sorting
Just to add the good news - once it is fixed you will get very fast speeds indeed - on ADSL2 in excess of 20,000kbps probably

The local exchange is maximum 8Mbps & I believe the expected speed for this street is 7.5Mbps, although neighbours claim they are getting 8Mbps. That's plenty for me though 🙂
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

My money's on (and I'm NOT a betting man) the electricians wiring being "sub-optimal" for ADSL.  Crazy
I think some photos of the various junction boxes and socket wiring (and the external NTE) are required....
culluding
Grafter

I can get photos if you are interested. The electrician did all the houses on the estate & the others are fine so I think more likely a fault somewhere, whether in the house wiring or outside. Pity I can't tap into the neighbour to rule out the house or the line (junction box about 50cm from mine) but she doesn't have broadband.
jim:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

photo's will help with fault rectifiation, also one inside the first two boxes
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If it were poor wiring, you'd likely see a disparity in reduction of sync for upstream and downstream due to the different frequencies in use. The crossed line issue is likely to be the cause of the poor sync.
culluding
Grafter

I've gone through the Plusnet help site to report my speed problem & have received this reply:-
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 0.5Mbps
Current line speed: 0.25Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

Does this mean that no further action is going to be taken to fix my line? I did also mention the crossed line problem, which is still happening, but no mention of that. Do I need to phone support now?
Carl.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't think that response will be connected with your fault ticket. The message you posted is sent to everyone 14 days after the service goes live.
Have you checked in the Member Centre for responses to your ticket? View your questions.
David