Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target SNR

sekonz
Grafter

Target SNR

Hi,
Could you reset my target SNR back to 6dB.
I have been able to do this myself using this website -  http://www.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html
But,  everytime i switch my router off / reboot i always connect with a higher SNR which i turn gives me slower speeds.
21 REPLIES 21
LittleReggie
Grafter

Re: Target SNR

hi.
i dont think anyone can reset your target SNR for you. if you modify the SNR with a utility like the one you have tried, it wont survive a re-boot of the router. you will need to try something like the DGTeam firmware, which can be programmed to keep the SNR at a certain level (or at least reset it when the router re-boots).
http://dgteam.ilbello.com/index.php?pid=5
i'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject will be able to provide a better answer.
regards,
reg.
sekonz
Grafter

Yes that's the problem - every time i reset/reboot it connects with a SNR of about 15db(not keeping the one i set with utility) and causes me to have low(er) speeds.
Id rather plusnet just set my target back to 6dB so I dont have to bother.
My SNR was increased a some time ago when my line had a fault in the street cabinet wiring and plusnet were trying to stop my disconnects .
Since this has been fixed and I no longer get random dropouts id like it reset to 6dB to give me better speeds..

Thanks
James
Grafter

Re:Target SNR

Hi Sekonz,
I'd suggest going to http://faults.plus.net and raising a request to have your SNR dropped from there.
sekonz
Grafter

I'll do that now but Im sure i asked for this a while back and it aint happened.
Anyway ill do it now and leave it a wk or so, if it doesnt reset back to 6dB ill give you a shout here.
Regards
sekonz
Grafter

My  Question | ID: 30772974

Hi,
I got this message on sunday -
"KBD currently offline so unable to confirm current SNR profile set - to be retested when back online."

could you check to see if its been online and if so set my target to 6dB.....cheers

Mand
Grafter

Re:Target SNR

Hi there,
I've got one of our faults guys on this for you now.
sekonz
Grafter

Hi,
I rebooted last night and rebooted again just 2 mins ago and still no change..
Still syncing at 15db.
Should the change have taking place by now or will it take a day or so?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It can be anywhere from days to weeks depending on whether BT accept the request to change it.
HaydnExport
Grafter

sorry for butting in on your thread  Wink  Can you point me in the direction of a snr guide ? my snr is at 19 and would like to know if it's a problem and how do i fix?
Mand
Grafter

@sekonz, it can take a few days.
@HaydnExport, depends on the rest of your stats as to whether it presents a problem, care to share? Smiley
HaydnExport
Grafter

Here you go mand  :)
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:24:59
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 4,192
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 139 / 178
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 74 / 81
sekonz
Grafter

Cool,
Ill check in a few days/week.
Thanks.

@ HaydnExport -
Your SNR (signal to noise ratio) is how much greater your signal is over background noise. For every 3db increase you are doubling the margin. Eg- 6db is double 3db, 9db is double 6db, 12dB is double 9dB.
So the higher your signal is over the noise the better.Your downstream is 14.5dB which is very good to keep your signal connected but it comes at a price- speed/bandwidth.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Do you dissconnect/switch off/on your router modem alot.......if so the telephone exchange can see this as you having problems staying connceted/synced and increase your target SNR which in turn lowers the speed.
HaydnExport
Grafter

it lost sync last night, but i put that down to max premium being enabled.  Otherwise i do try and sync it higher if i'm up early !
sekonz
Grafter

Got a txt last night saying my problem should be resolved and to do a resync to see......I did that and im still syncing at the 15-16db range. Added a comment last night to my fault question but not heard anything back as yet.
Connection Speed 3424 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 47.0 db 25.0 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 22.0 db
Cmon this is taking too long..... Wink