Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target SNR

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Target SNR

oh ok then - can u please closed ticket #74624535 as it no point now.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: purleigh
Have you considered buying a modem/router that allows you to permanently override the target SNR ?
so that you don't have to tweak it with 'RouterStats' every time your connection re-syncs.
The obvious choice would be one of the Billion BiPac 7800 series, 
although I also got great results with a Netgear DG834GT flashed with DGTeam firmware.
Wink

I wish my Netgear DGND3700v2 have these permanently override the target SNR but it doesn't. I thought plusnet can tweak snr target of 2 at their end.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

When is the best time to tweak snr from 3 to 2dB? I think around 1pm to 2pm are the best time to do it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem, I've closed the ticket for you.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: goldenadsl
When is the best time to tweak snr from 3 to 2dB? I think around 1pm to 2pm are the best time to do it?

When the Sun is at it's highest in the sky (i.e. mid-day) would be the best time. The interference will therefore be at its lowest and you will get the best speed. However (and it's a big however), this speed (i.e sync speed) may not remain when it gets dark. This is because the SNRM tends to drop, on average, by 1-3dB when it gets dark (nearer 3dB at this time of the year), which may cause your connection to be unstable or just very slow due to high error rates.
Oh and you can tweak the SNRM on a DGND3700v2. Go to yourroutersip/setup.cgi?todo=debug. Then, open a telnet window and login. Then type, adsl configure --VALUE (try 90 and then work your way up/down until you get to 2dB). Edit: I have re-read your post and I have realised that you were asking for a permanent SNRM reduction via the router. This command only sets it until the router is rebooted (although you could just set this just after the router reboots to effectively do the same thing).
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I had tweak snr from 3.0 to 2.0dB  Grin
Not bad 18335Kbps from Line Attenuation 30.5dB
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What's the error rate like?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
What's the error rate like?

Ridiculous:

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Fault team told me to ingorne it, it was 11 errors over 10 days which it ain't bad.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

There were far more than 11 errors (see above)
jim:quote
kitz
Aspiring Pro

There's a really good reason why there isn't a 2dB target SNRm...  and thats because adsl2/2+ requires 3dB of SNR to be able to load 1bit, hence why the values are 3/6/9 etc.  This is an adsl standard and nothing to do with what ISP you are with.
Go under 3dB and your router is going to be working damn hard to perform bitswaps..  nvm deal with errors.  Huh
Id certainly not recommend a 30dB atten line running at under 3dB....  bit different if you have a rock steady 5dB atten line that never ever budges. 
This is a perfect example of why BT stopped people from being able to tweak their routers.. then moaning when things broke Sad

*adsl1 needs min of 2 bits per bin because of differing overhead algorithms hence the starting 6dB on adsl1
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm#bit_loading
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Listen to Kitz. If anybody knows anything about ADSL, it's her.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Fault team told me to ingorne it, it was 11 errors over 10 days which it ain't bad.

A few hundred errors per week are okay (not really ideal, but no line is ideal anyway) but 132668 CRCs in the time period of 12 days (that's over 10000 per hour!) suggests to me that your line is not good enough to run that low. The thing is, you can tweak your line as much as you want, but at a certain point, the errors slow down the throughput so you don't notice any difference any way. I am sure that at night, your line gets much slower.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Actually DLM had reset my line back to 3dB because of too many errors and I just  leave it alone. It now less errors on 3dB over 24 hours.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

It now less errors on 3dB over 24 hours.

Please post a screenshot?