cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk LLU Speed Boasts

alpinenut

Talk Talk LLU Speed Boasts

About a month ago TalkTalk sent out leaflets to houses in my area Claydon, Suffolk saying that they could now offer broadband speeds up to 24 Mbps.  Last week, their super confident salesmen started knocking on doors in our village trying to get people to leave their provider and move to TalkTalk, citing their fabulously fast download speeds.  After checking with Samknows, TalkTalk do indeed now have their equipment in our local exchange though the LLU scheme.  However, does this really mean they can offer speeds over 8Mbps even though the exchange has not been upgraded to ADSL2+ (according to SamKnows and PlusNet Tech Support)?  If BT and PlusNet can't offer ADSL2+ how can TalkTalk?
Can anyone shed any light on this as I can't seem to get straight answers from anyone? 
My current speed with PlusNet is 5.5Mbps which I'm pretty happy with and I don't mind the wait until the faster speeds come in.  It just annoys me that TalkTalk can come around offering something which I'm pretty sure is not yet available.
Thoughts anyone? Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Talk Talk LLU Speed Boasts

Talk Talk are able to offer "up to 24 Mbps" because they have put their own equipment in your exchange which bypasses BT's outdated equipment.
I am in the same position with Talk Talk & Orange having their own equipment in my local exchange with BT not even having a date to upgrade to ADSL2+.  The lack of investment by BT in rural exchanges is frustrating to say the least.
Tango
Grafter

Isn't it good that other companies are investing in rural areas? After all, if BT and only BT upgrades then this would reinforce their monopoly.  But I understand what you mean, I'm currently in a small town with just TalkTalk and Sky enabled but no date on when ADSL2 will be turned on.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi alpinenut, acr & Tango,
Yeah I just checked your exchanges and unfortunately none of them are listed on the planned 21CN upgrade list Sad
Jojo Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That's that then Id consider LLU If you want fast speeds, Don't know what you would need fast speeds for though If your already getting say 4-5MBPS with PN?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
alpinenut

Thanks Guys for the info.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  I'm sure BT will eventually get round to it!  The 5.5Mbps I'm getting is not bad but I'd love an even faster speed.  You soon get used to a certain speed and when I nip over to see my brother and his 10Mbps+ Virgin Media cable speed the difference is very noticeable when downloading large files.