cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking over Phoneline

gwilson1

Taking over Phoneline

Dear Plusnet Users
I have just moved house and have paid to have plusnet landline and broadband in the new house. I have had a text from Plusnet to say the line is currently held by another company until 30/5/15, and until this is released they can not set up the new line. I have contacted the company who currently have the line, and as the previous owner is obviously the account holder with this company, they can give me no details or do anything with the line as I don't have passwords etc.
Has anyone else had a similar problem - and is there anything that can be done? I really need the internet sorting out for work purposes!
Thanks  Smiley
gwilson1
11 REPLIES 11
ChippyDSL
Dabbler

Re: Taking over Phoneline

I don't understand why it takes so long when you move into a new house.
It is unreasonable to wait 3-4 weeks for a phone line and internet.
Are Plusnet being helpful, and have they given you a reason for the delay?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Did you actually read the post before commenting?  Roll_eyes
The previous occupant appears not to have cancelled the line so I assume that PN have requested a working line takeover which involves the provider for the previous owner notifying them that the line is being switched.  I believe that this has a significant lead time* so that the notification has time to be sent and objected to (if the takeover is erroneous).  The alternative is to contact the previous owner and ask them to contact the old provider and request that the line be stopped (not cancelled!)
*The lead time for WLT used to be 11 working days which isn't quite May 30th however...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If we're taking over a line we have to provide at least 10 working days notice, however as there is already an order on this line to stop the service (that's where the date of the 30th comes in) we cannot place the order until after this date unfortunately. However as it'll then be a start of a stopped line, it should be within a couple of days and then the broadband to follow 4-5 working days later.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It would seem eminently sensible for ALL phone/broadband suppliers to have a PROMINENT section on their web sites explaining the pitfalls and processes around moving home.
In particular this should have sections on:
1. "Moving out: how to make life easy for the new occupants"
2. "Moving in: what to do in advance to ensure swift phone and broadband service activation"
3. "Unavoidable delays and how to minimise them"
Something for PlusNet to take a lead on.  Wink
benfranklin
Grafter

That is a good idea. RE point 1 though, a number of people just don't care about anyone's life being made easier other than their own  Undecided
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Very true but most people moving out of somewhere are also moving in somewhere, perhaps if it became the customary thing to do then most people moving home would benefit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi gwilson1.
Welcome to the forum.
I don't think Plusnet's response to this situation is very satisfactory. As mentioned in an earlier post, the previous owner needs to get the line STOPPED and this can be done immediately if they contact their provider - if they don't stop it immediately, they are presumably continuing to pay for it
Once that is done, you could request Plusnet to revise the order. If you don't have the contact details of the previous owner, the estate agent should be able to help.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

AO,
It might not be that simple.  If the departing subscriber has a minimum termination period, it might be the case that the period extends until the 30th and thus no one can effect it sooner.
IIRC when I left the pub (I got the notice period wrong) the service agreement extended some 20 days beyond when we left.  I did though take the precaution of having out bound calls blocked.
The whole industry from BTOR upwards needs to be more agile, being able to offer disconnections, re-connections, line take over and line provision within hours, rather than days or weeks.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Kevin, that's not the case, a line can be stopped immediately in certain circumstances. That doesn't mean that the cancelling owner can escape any contractual requirement and not pay for the required notice period. But in any event in your example of the pub, I'd have thought a transfer of the service would have been more appropriate unless the premises were going to be empty for a while.
AndyH
Grafter

I doubt any provider could cease a line held by another provider.
In this situation, it might be easier and quicker if a new line order is placed.
Edit: Actually I am talking nonsense.
Anotherone
Champion

I never said that at all. I suggest you read more carefully, what I said was about the original customer stopping their service with their provider.
Edit: yes you are talking nonsense , I agree with your edit.