cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TD-W8970 with Fibre

ioanac91

TP-Link TD-W8970 with Fibre

Hi,
I just bought the TP-Link TD-W8970 modem router and I want to know if I can use it to replace both the BT Openreach modern and the router I received from plusnet(technicolor something) instead of only using it as a router. I tried to search but nothing clear came up so I hope you can help me.

Thanks

edit: When I plug the ADSL cable into the modem the ADSL light keeps flashing and then it stops
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: TP-Link TD-W8970 with Fibre

welcome to the forum Smiley
nope you can't, it's an ADSL modem not a VDSL modem which is required for fibre.
this would be what you needed if you wanted a tp-link one http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=3788&model=TD-W9980
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

It's a ADSL modem router, so sorry you'll still need to use the BT modem with this router.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8970#spec
To replace the BT modem you need a VDSL2 modem router.
You can however use it to replace the Plusnet TG582n router. Connect the BT modem to the routers Ewan port and configure the router to connect using PPPoE. You'll also need to enter your Plusnet user-name and password in the new router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Interestingly the hardware of the TD-W8970 may be VDSL2 capable, but the stock firmware only supports ADSL, and there's no easy way to install openwrt or any other custom firmware. So it can't be used as a VDSL2 modem.
It's only advertised as 300Mbps wireless, but it evidently has 3 antenna, and it certainly indicates it can receive MCS 0-23, so it seems to actually have 450Mbps wireless.