Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TI AR-7 based modems

techguy
Grafter

TI AR-7 based modems

Hi
Read a bit a while back there were some issues with Texas Instruments AR-7 based modems (I believe that the Netgear DB834N is one of these) although line has been stable since I moved to plusnet on lines with high attenuation.
Anyone know anything about this? purely out of interest)
21 REPLIES 21
ctech500
Grafter

Re: TI AR-7 based modems

Hi
This link might be of interest to you
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/22/zen_ar7_infineon_bt_fault/
I use a Netgear DB834GT which uses the Broadcom BCM6348 chipset and the thing is rock solid
techguy
Grafter

Cheers, this was the exact article I read.
Was just wondering whether it was a bit of a myth or something specific to the routers Zen was using to terminate their centrals (to clarify these are the big pipes to deliver the traffic from the BT ADSL ATM network)  to your ISP
Had hprrendous problems when I tried O2 ADSL2+ (reason I left) but connection on plusnet has been rock solid (perhaps it communicates well at ADSL 2 with Juniper E series edge routers which is what plusnet use according to their network info)
Just trying to look into this as not sure whether to replacing my router might be necessary when 21CN arrives in my area as frankly the line is dire.
zubel
Community Veteran

I think more relevant is how the TI chipset communicates with the DSLAMs installed in the exchanges.
Once that hardware link is engaged, the rest of the traffic is ATM based and handled in software on the router - feasibly there are problems at this point, but it certainly wouldn't be dependant on the router chipset from here.
B.
techguy
Grafter

Yes
Yes I've  got a lot to learn about telecom stuff.
To be hones though, really wish that they'd hurry up and develop something better than ADSL because it has too many pitfalls.
a nice ethernet socket next to my PC linked directly to a fibre cabinet outside linked to plusnet's network would be nice, no router required and 100 meg speed
But of course it is expensive to build such a network so will have to make do with ADSL for a while
zubel
Community Veteran

Unfortunately ethernet is limited to 100 metre segment lengths so that's pretty much out, as a lot of properties will be over 100m from their closes cabinet.
The best bet for the moment is FTTC, then DSLAMs at the cabinet. This will drop the ADSL segment length down to a fraction of the current Premises to Exchange length.  This will mean that current (and new) technology can be designed to push the limitations of the copper pair, knowing that the line length will be much shorter than the current implementation.
Unfortunately, it also means a country-wide upgrade of kerbside cabinets, which I can't see happening under the current regime.
B.
techguy
Grafter

No because BT will tap the taxpayer for the cost of course and there's lots more important things to spend money on.
Just wish Brown would spend it on stuff like cancer drugs to help people rather than the flaming Olympics.
Anyway I'm in danger of veering off into one of my other favourite subjects, politics which isn't appropriate for this forum.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: ctech500
This link might be of interest to you
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/22/zen_ar7_infineon_bt_fault/
I use a Netgear DB834GT which uses the Broadcom BCM6348 chipset and the thing is rock solid

List of devices many devices at http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/AR7#Devices_based_on_the_Texas_Instruments_AR7
I also use a Netgear DG834GT which uses the Atheros chipset and the thing is rock solid.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil

List of devices many devices at http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/AR7#Devices_based_on_the_Texas_Instruments_AR7
I also use a Netgear DG834GT which uses the Atheros chipset and the thing is rock solid.  Smiley

I believe that  Atheros is the wireless chipset rather than the DSP chipset which is Broadcom in the Netgear  GT's, I could be mistaken though.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you're right - I've mostly seen references to Atheros in wireless related issues.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

prichardson
Grafter

The quickest way to know how safe you are on a Netgear.
On the base of the unit it shows the version number after the modem number.
Either v1, v2, v3 or v4 (not sure if we are on v5 yet).
Only v1 & v2 used the AR-7
ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: P
The quickest way to know how safe you are on a Netgear.

Just to clarify you are referring to Netgear DG834/G and not Netgear DG834GT I know that that Sky rebadge them and use them on their ADSL2  platform
and the only issue is that Sky use their own firmware and it is well dodgy.
Mark
Grafter

Imho the TI chipset story was an opinion voiced by Zen but not backed up by testing or findings from anyone else.
We have some of the industries most skilled and experienced tech gurus and we couldnt reach the same conclusions. From what I've read, no one else has either.
Personally, I've consigned it to the urban myth drawer. Smiley

The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
..Just wish Brown would spend it on stuff like cancer drugs to help people rather than the flaming Olympics...

Grin
Quote from: P
On the base of the unit it shows the version number after the modem number.
Either v1, v2, v3 or v4 (not sure if we are on v5 yet).
Only v1 & v2 used the AR-7

The first three versions have an TI-AR7  Link
Not applicable

And I don't think all v1's proclaimed the fact that they were v1's - the absence of a vn does of course indicate that its a v1, before they realised they might want to release other versions.