Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v8 Bridge Mode IPs

HalfShaft
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

TG585v8 Bridge Mode IPs

After reading a few posts I updated the above router and put in the settings for bridge mode and connected it to a Netgear R6300.  The Netgear then is asking for connection username and password (no problem there), IP address (since its static) but also for subnet mask and gateway IP.  Have read various threads here and other  forums  mentioning  different Subnet masks and gateway IPs I rang tech support and they pointed me here since they only work with basic installiations. 
Any idea what subnet mask and gateway IP I should be using?
Thanks in advance,
Pete.
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: TG585v8 Bridge Mode IPs

You need to configure the R6300 for a PPPoE connections with your PlusNet username/password. When it successfully makes the ppp connection it will get subnet mask and gateway automatically.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HalfShaft
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
You need to configure the R6300 for a PPPoE connections with your PlusNet username/password.

On the configuration page where it asks for the login info it asks for IP info
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just looked at the manual, and although it doesn't have screenshots, you need to be selecting the 'Get Dynamically from ISP' for the Internet IP settings.
Its on pages 20 & 21 of the manual I'm looking at. It should then not require you to sepcify subnet mask and gateway, they will be obtained from the ISP.
I know it sounds odd to select Dynamic when you have a static IP. In effect all that happens with a static IP is that PlusNet still assign it when the connection is made, it's just that they ALWAYS assign the same IP.
Hope that makes sense.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HalfShaft
Dabbler

Thanks for that I'll have another go when I get home.
It'll teach me to RTFM  Grin