cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v7 or Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam FW?

chrisoldinho
Grafter

TG585v7 or Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam FW?

Hi all,
A new Plusnet customer here. I ordered the router with the package I signed up for, arrived no probs. Plugged it in and checked the FW it was running (version 8), I then googled to see if it was any different to my DG834GT i've been using for a couple of years now...
I can't seem to get any definitive answers, i've noticed the Thomson router seems relatively slim on options but it does what I would need, however having gotten used to the DGTeam FW on my DG834GT and the ability to change target SNR rates and many other things down to an 9th degree it got me thinking which one should I use? I like the new Thomson router and presume it's an ok model which is supported still and in production, however the DG834GT is now legacy equipment and i'm not really sure what to use?!
Probably won't make much difference either way, but is there a specific reason to use the Thomson over the Netgear or vice versa?
2nd question following on from this, is there any merit in flashing the Thomson to factory FW or is the plusnet FW good enough (is it even possible?)
Thanks all, Chris.
4 REPLIES 4
twentythree
Grafter

Re: TG585v7 or Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam FW?

Bob Pullen released a v. 8.2.6.5 Plusnet branded firmware for the TG585v7 recently (January 14th) - I haven't installed it yet so can't comment on any changes. I don't think the changes make it comparable to a DGTeam type firmware but perhaps someone who has installed it could comment.
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I much prefer the Netgear - much better monitoring and reporting using Routerstats
If you want to do anything out of the ordinary the 585 is a pig (the firmware is totally emasculated - standard and Plusnet versions are the same in that respect)
Yes you can flash to a normal Thompson firmware but I don't think there are any real advantages
I prefer the Broadcom chip for long lines
chrisoldinho
Grafter

thanks!
gyre
Grafter

I don't have the GT, just the G v4, so the following may not apply...
I prefer to use the 585v7 with bob's newer firmware.  Syncs higher than the DG834G.  Also the snr margin doesn't wander about so much.
-- gyre --