cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v7 and iPopd Touch Maps

afbprospect

TG585v7 and iPopd Touch Maps

Anyone out there experienced problems trying to get the maps application on iPod Touch 4g to find your location using your home network?
My iPod works fine in all other ways but I keep getting a 'cannot determine location' notice when trying to use the maps app.
I can get the location service to work using my friends WiFI network but not mine!
I have a TG585v7 router with 8.2.6.5 software. Windows 7 laptop.
I have called Apple but after iPod resets, restores etc the problem still exists.
Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: TG585v7 and iPopd Touch Maps

The iPod Touch uses WiFi for location services. You need to live in an area with a WiFi hotspot that has been mapped by Skyhook (the company who sold the service to Apple). It has nothing to do with your router, software etc and there is no fault with your iPod if the service is not working.
You can always add the MAC address of your router to their database by using this form:-
http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php
I think it takes about 3 weeks for the database to be updated. Location Services will then work for you and anybody else in your area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I like my ViewRanger app, available on all platforms, that uses a short hook up to the phone supplier for quick location, otherwise just GPS, I have all GB at 1:50000 aand selected locations at 1::25000 on my Nok 5270
http://www.viewranger.com/
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks very much for that Pierré. I have bought, installed it and now just tested it on a 2 mile walk and it's just what I was looking for. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
afbprospect

Thanks for the tip ACR. I submitted my mac address to Skyhook about 2 weeks ago. I also asked Apple if they could tell me if my router was registered on their database, but for some reason they could/would not tell me if it was or not. However, I have read elsewhere that Apple have dumped Skyhook and established their own database?