cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 v7 reboots

praethon
Grafter

Re: TG585 v7 reboots

So is there a workaround or is the router unuseable without the firmware upgrade? Why would my router suddenly develop this fault with no change in circumstance. I spoke to Thomson earlier today and they claim that this fault is not firmware related if it has just started. I followed their instructions which amounted to a hard reset without any success. They advised me to contact PN for a replacement. So who is right?
Stuart
James
Grafter

Get in touch with Plusnet for a replacement.
praethon
Grafter

I have a ticket open (ticket ID 30722698) but I think it needs pointing in the right direction as it has not been progressed for a while. I have just received an email from Speedtouch Helpdesk confirming what they said on the phone that it is a hardware fault and to contact my ISP for a replacement. Can you possibly escalate this for me please?
Stuart
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Peter
No news on a new firmware version. The Beta Bob was testing is too buggy to release so it went back.

You know I find it depressing that a router that is sold as having wireless capability actually randomly reboots itself if the wireless is turned on, and it usually happens at the worse possible time. Its not quite "not fit for purpose" but if my car randomly decided to stop dead at random intervals because I'd actually decided to use one of the features I'd bought it for I'd be asking to talk to someone. But Thomson just don't seem to care about it do they.
As for buggy betas - well I think we all expect some bugs but if its that bad is it really a Beta or is it an alpha and just who is doing their coding for them.
praethon
Grafter

PING - Bob Pullen.
Bob, I have sent you a PM about this. James Bailey sent out a replacement TG585v7  router which I received today. Unfortunately within 10 minutes of  setting it up  the problem still exists. So it is clearly a problem with the 7.4.4.7 firmware. Though why it has worked for 11 months without incident is a mystery! So I have reinstated the old 585v6 which has no problems. Can you advise how to proceed from here. I understand from James that the v8 wont be available until January.
Stuart
retrend
Dabbler

sigh, why are these routers still being given out when they are obviously faulty and have been since long enough now.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:TG585 v7 reboots

I've given Bob a nudge to take a look at your PM.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
praethon
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Bob has been in touch. I have now flashed the router with the latest build of the firmware. Fingers crossed it is looking stable so far. I will monitor it for a couple of days and report back.
Stuart
zubel
Community Veteran

Have you got anything that uses UPNP on your network, perchance?
B.
praethon
Grafter

No nothing at all using uPNP. The old v7 had worked without problem for 11 months. The replacement arrived and had exactly the same problem. Having flashed the router with the latest build of the current 7.4.4.7 firmware though, it seems to be OK. Bob and I are struggling to work out the reason why Huh I think sometimes it is best not to try and understand why and leave well alone if it is now working! Anyway the new v8s are due out in the new year so if all else fails I will be having one of those, assuming they are stable of course  Wink
Stuart
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've spoken to Bob and he seems to think you've figured out that this may be due to a recent firmware upgrade on your VoIP hardware?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
praethon
Grafter

Could be but I am not so sure. Siemens sent out an update last week which seems to tie in with the begining of the problem. That wouldn't explain the UMA problem though. However the problem seems to have rectified itself this afternoon. Given that I haven't changed anything today it begs the question what has changed? I am still thinking that OpenReach were working on the DSLAM at my local exchange and have been in there today and resolved the problem.  The connection has been stable for just over 3 hours now. Multiple VoIP and UMA calls have been made successfully, so fingers crossed!.
Stuart
praethon
Grafter

Chris,
My optimism was short lived. The v7 is once again performing its "KERNEL Warm restart" party trick so clearly it wasn't related to the Siemens firmware update (that was the previous week anyway not last week, which is when the trouble started). The old v6 is back in service and completely stable.
Bob offered to send me another replacement to try, so I suppose it is worth it, although I am not particualrly confident. It wont hurt to try another one. The feeling on this forum though seems to be that the v7 is inherently faulty.
Whether the solution lies ultimately with the v8 only time will tell.
Stuart
Mand
Grafter

Hi Stuart,
Have you been back in touch with Speedtouch advising that you've had a replacement router and new firmware?
praethon
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Not been back in touch with them yet. I think Bob intends running the router in a test environment and then reporting it directly to Thomson at the next service review meeting. The second replacement has arrived so I will test it tomorrow and report back.
Stuart