Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 Connecting to Windows 7 Laptop

paxy
Grafter

TG585 Connecting to Windows 7 Laptop

Hi
I am having toruble connecting my plusnet TG585 v7 to a new windows 7 laptop.  I know the laptop is fine as I have connected it to 2 other routers without issue.
It just keeps telling me that the PIN is wrong (it doesn't - I have double checked I am entering the right one)
It just keeps telling me that the securtiy key mismatch (it doesn't - I have double checked I am entering the right one)
I have upgraded the router to firmware 8.2.23.0
Any ideas?
PS In the past I have also tried to connect SIPGATE via this router and that seems to fail as well.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG585 Connecting to Windows 7 Laptop

It is possible that there is an existing setting for a TG585 in Windows 7 and it keeps trying to connect to it.
Can you check the security setting on the laptop - I think the router default is WPA but you can check that
Have you set the router to accept new stations - I seem to remember that you need to press a button on the front which allows connection for a limited time
paxy
Grafter

hmmmm - yes I think I tried that.
I have also tried setting to WPA only and WPA2 only but it still makes no difference.
paxy
Grafter

After messing around I have found that it's the firmware that doesn't work connecting Windows 7 (other threads document this).
8.2.6.5 does work but my router told me I was downgrading!
Still no sipgate though.
I have come to the conclusion that either this router or the firmware are not fit for purpose and will be looking for a new one which I am guessing I will need to spend some real money on rather than just postage...
🙂
nadger
Rising Star

Just checked the settings under Windows7 for my TG585v8 and I'm connecting using WPA2-Personal and router settings WPA+WPA2
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Assuming that the router was supplied by Plusnet did you downgrade the firmware to the Thompson standard
paxy
Grafter

The firmware I am using is still branded plusnet?
nadger
Rising Star

Plusnet only supply v7 - software release is 8.2
Must admit I did have problems as I was trying to link this laptop (Thinkpad T41) , which I use most, running XPPro and a pcmcia wireless card and my Toshiba running Win7.
Under Win7 the drop down security list didn't include WPA-PSK that comes up under XPPro.
Broadcast Network Name: Yes
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Preshared Key:
WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP+AES
WPA-PSK Version: WPA+WPA2
HaydnExport
Grafter

mine works fine with windows 7 , try disabling the security and try connecting
puddy
Grafter

You could try turning off your anti-virus program to see if it will connect
you said your trying to connect to sipgate do you mean their voip service ? did you know plusnet have their own voip service?  depending on which package your on you get free minutes every month I get 240 minutes free.
depending on what router you have i can supply the settings if you want to use plusnet voip!!! 
puddy
Do you have a nokia mobile phone?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm, this problem really bugs me every time I get a call about it. Having trawled around a bit I came across this long thread on the microsoft website where many people are experiencing the same issue with windows 7. Having ploughed down most of it I would say the two solutions that stuck out the most for me is the loss of connectivity after a windows update and the wireless adapter's power options not being set to maximum performance. I'd be interested to know what your solution is if you find it.
Jojo Smiley
paxy
Grafter

Hello
Solution was that once router was runnig 8.2.6.5 it connected without problems (no changes to laptop at all).
This was not router specific as I tried another plusnet router (same model) connected on a family members plusnet line and found exactly the same results.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm, shame it needs a firmware update to work properly. Thanks very much for letting us know, I'll pass that on to Jojo for you Smiley
paxy
Grafter

any ideas about how I can connect to sipgate with this router??!  It doesn't work with this firmware either....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suggest starting a new thread in the VOIP Section